Cost of 208 Pulpit Setup

Biscayne208

Reaction score
hey guys,

Since i got my boat back Ive wanted to make the upgrade of adding a pulpit and a windlas to it. It is a 208 adventure. i know some of the guys on here have done it and I was wondering what the cost of the pulpit and the railing was. The windlass cost is self explanatory.. If you guys would be willing to share I would love to know what Im up against to see if its an investment worth making.

thanks,
Ed

seasick

Reaction score
If you go the Grady OEM parts route, it is fairly expensive. I priced it several years ago and the whole deal, rail kit, pulpit, windlass and install was over $4000.
I didn't do it but if I were to do it now, I wouldn't do the pulpit but rather a bow roller. A good roller with an articulated head ( suitable for a free fall windlass) is about $200. A decent windlass will run about a thou and install will run several hundred to 500 depending on who you select to do the job. The two hard tasks are mounting the roller which entails reinforcing the locker and cutting the locker hatch for the windlass and running the power if your boat doesn't have the prewires. Note that the prewires on some of the Gradys are sized for lower power windlasses and may not be large enough for the windlass you select so make sure you pick a model and size the wires accordingly.

One more piece of trivia which may or may not apply in your case:
At one of the marinas I looked at for storage, the fess are based on ACTUAL total length overall, not the registration length. If you have a similar fee arrangement and add the pulpit, the LOA goes up by 2 feet. At 100 bucks a foot, that adds $200 a year to the costs making the pulpit an even more expensive option.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady used to sell a DIYer kit, incl rail extenders.

Call Grady dealer for a quote on kit, and if not a DIYer, what is install cost adder.

Brace yourself before asking for quote.

Biscayne208

Reaction score
After extensive searching. i called my local grady Dealer and bit the bullet. I bought the OEM pulpit, rail and stanchions..I really didnt want to spend the money now but when my boat was stolen they took the custom cover so I need to make a new one and now the new one will be able to have the pulpit measured into it. One of my reasons for not doing it earlier was the necessary mod of the pulpit would have set me back quite a few dollars with my canvas guy.

Ill post the pictures once shes done!

JeffN

Reaction score
So what did it run you? I would be interested in a report on the project when you are finished.

Biscayne208

Reaction score
jeff. it was $1150 with all parts included. Now i am going to buy a Lewmar 700 Pro Series Stainless windlass so final cost should be under 2K with me doing the installation work myself.

seasick

Reaction score
Biscayne208 said:
jeff. it was $1150 with all parts included. Now i am going to buy a Lewmar 700 Pro Series Stainless windlass so final cost should be under 2K with me doing the installation work myself.
Sounds cheap for pulpit and rail kit. Did your price include both?

weatherbymag

Reaction score
let us know how this goes..

I inquired in the fall about one for my 1987 gulf stream and was quoted about $1500 installed by the local dealer..

not sure if an aftermarket version is better

Biscayne208

Reaction score
Got the pulpit on!!! it looks awesome. I also made a few other mods that may help a few of you guys.. Radio, Ss Thru HULLS... ETC. I will post a new thread about it.
Before

Gradyrecovered007.jpg

after!

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

Finatic

Reaction score
That looks great. I'm planning to add a bow pulpit to my Gulfstream before the upcoming season. How difficult was the installation? Thanks.