Cost of a new enclosure on a 204c

timo14

Reaction score
My enclosure windshield exploded in the cold this weekend. The plastic, not the glass. I knew it was on its last legs, but i thought I'd get one last winter out of it. I bought a piece of eisenglass and have it C-clamped (yes c-clamped) in place. Works ok for now, but i'll need to get a new top & enclosure for next year. Does anyone know what the cost would be to replace the whole thing... top, front, sides an back? I was thinking of having the front and sides made one piece instead of 3 separates that are joined by zippers. I've never used the front when i didn't use the sides.

Also, any recomendations for a fabricator in the upper chesapeake area?

Thanks,
Tim

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Posted: Sep Fri 19, 2008 7:36 pm Post subject: Replacement Canvas for Gradys

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently had to replace some of the side curtains/isinglas/canvas (what do you call that stuff!) on my 2004 330 Express. I got a quote from the local dealer for ~$1000 for the three pieces I needed. I ordered it and the next day got a call from them that they misquoted and it was really $2000. Growing suspicious that they originally quoted me wholesale and thinking a 100% markup was more than they deserved I called GW customer service to find out who their supplier was. I was surprised they told me, but they did. When I asked if I could order canvas direct from their supplier they said "For older boats yes, but for newer boats no." When I asked for more detail on what they meant by "older boat" they had none. So I called the supplier and they said no problem - $150 per piece or $450 total. 10 minutes and a few phone calls saved me $1500.

The supplier is A and J Canvas - here is their contact information

2453 Streets Ferry Rd
Vanceboro, NC , 28586-8350
Phone: 252-244-1509
FAX: 252-244-2508

A and J was great - they even still had the original patterns for my hull number so they could cut exact custom fit replacements. Wow!

What annoys me is that neither the dealer or GW told me I could buy the canvas direct from the supplier until I asked. I guess they both want their 100% markups! So, that's why I am sharing this with you now. Next time you need to replace your canvas, call A and J and cut out GW's and the dealer's 400% mark up.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'd say about $1400 for the 204C, I presume the bimini frame is OK?

Check with the fabicator on deleting zippers, you will save some, but there may be some limitations involved in fabricating / installing.

They price by square in. or foot and add for zippers, etc. Bring yours in is the way to go or unless they have a truck that drives around (at no extra cost). They come to boat or you bring boat to make the final fitting and add the snaps.

If the the canvas is too tight (or loose) in places make sure you tell the fabicator. The vinly windows shrink as they age, not the polyester fabric if that's what you have.

If you are not satisfied with the frame height or something like that, best time is to take care of it is now. I had the web straps on the rear side of the frame replaced with stainless tubes in order to use rod holders on the tubes. Also had the center height taller than the OEM had. Be sure to look at the shop's samples especially how they make teh seam or trim the fabric, there are cheap ways to do it and better ways, the better ways involve more stiching, so be sure this is stated and written up in the order. Different shops have different methods, that's in part why a difference in price.

timo14

Reaction score
Bob,
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of replacing the rear straps with tubing. I might have steal that one.

Any recommendations of materials? The top i have now is vinyl. Should i go back with vinyl or maybe canvas? Is there a specific plastic type I should look for? I've heard of Isenglass & Strataglass... not really sure what the difference is or which is better.

Thanks Again,
Tim

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I can only recommend the sunbrella (spelling?) material in navy blue, the stuff doesn't fade, wear out, or harden with age and cold temperature. It appears to not even weaken with age.

There is a spray treatment to use on the material once a season, especially the top in case you get a few drops coming in where rain may puddle up.

That's the only maintenance ! I never use soap, only water, will lay them flat on deck after season and powerwash (especially zippers and snaps), I had some mildew on one cover got it off with powerwash - lowered the pressure though.

Lexus (spelling?) for the windows, and I tried eveything else I care to, used a bit and tossed it including the maguiers stuff.
Lexus was easy to use, cleans very well, and far superior IMHO, Megabytes recommended a try.
And one spray can does two seasons.

For window material I don't know what they used, they did use the heavier gauge choice though.

In general when it comes to vinyl windows, I think they suck, compared to glass. They can be ruined very readily with improper use of glass window cleaners - never use for plastic, they harden and shrink with age, and clarity sucks from day one (compared to glass), and scratch like nothing. Even storing them one has to be careful, one of my windows has a permanent impression of a zipper in it, where one cover was laying on the next in storage.

My next boat will have to be a three sided glass pilot house, I'm done looking thru plastic. The aluminum hardtop frame that corrodes will be gone at the same time too with one blow.

On my (former) 204C, the rear frame tubes I mentioned also allow you to fold up the bimini keeping it in position up high and rear of the bridge (I had a vinyl zip cover too that closed the canvas all up nice). Laying the frame down forward in front of the windshield didn't work for me. I think there was interference with the antenna mount of something.

I paid 1200 bucks for an entirely new bimini top full sided enclosure about 12 yrs ago, so gauge it accordingly and since you already have a frame.
The top was made taller by a few inches (I set the height), the forward windows were more vertical, and the rear draped a bit further back than original. I had them build the frame first for my approval before proceeding. I also had the frame members on the side external to the canvas so when in the walkarond had something to hold onto in bad sea conditions getting to the bow.

I apologized to the canvas guy for being so anal, but he actually thanked me - for knowing what I wanted, he said he has completed entire enclosures and the owner rejected them upon sight and had to do them over.

Grady Again

Reaction score
New enclosuree on 204c

I recently ordered a helm cover for my '97, 208 after reading the original post of saltydog. I agree that A & J Canvas was great. They had the pattern in stock and I had it within two weeks of ordering. Quality job for $150 and $50 shipping. I will not hesitate to use them again. 8)