Cost of factory installed hardtop

Old Lion

Reaction score
I recently posted a question about whether I should add a hardtop to my 255, which is on order for Spring delivery. In response to overwhelming endorsements of the value of the hardtop I asked my dealer about the cost. It turns out that a GW factory installed hardtop is around 12K. I have asked GW why they cost so much and have gotten no answer. It strikes me as outrageously expensive. Does any :huh body know why these things are so expensive, and has anybody had any experience with aftermarket installed hardtops?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the time for good negotiation on that stuff is during the initial purchase. it would be interesting to see if you can come up with a discount though.

as far as cost, i can't say authoritatively, but there is a lot of engineering, labor and material in those tops. if you were going to go to an aftermarket mfg that is top quality, i would be surprised if you saved any significant $'s. jmo, ron

Fishtales

Reaction score
The supply chain is set up to feed the factory. They probably are just like contractors that don't want the work - price it high (which includes the factory markup) so you will go elsewhere versus saying no. If you ask me the HT isn't the best out there anyway. The pipe work is good, but with a balsa core that is not recommended for much weight, you are better off going another route anyway.

richie rich

Reaction score
ibgary said:
Not sure of your location but here is where I am having a half tower image 18 installed for $4500 on my 20' overnighter.

http://www.pacificyachttowers.com/

That's about right...i priced out a larger size at a boat show a year ago....about $6000....and they can make them look exactly like a Grady if you ask...its not rocket science to measure up and get the same size and camber and electronics box if you want that....but the pro's make some beautiful tops and boxes these days that look better than factory.....since Grady farms out that part anyway, I don't see the "value" of buying from the factory....you'll never get 12k back on resale

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi there
We have a new 255 with hardtop that just went to winter storage today. We are in Canada and I can tell you that our hardtop did not cost $12,000 US. I would see where that number is coming from, seems very high to me...speaking from experience. I have also in previous posts noted that our hardtop does not have a radio box, possibly that has changed as ours is one of the first off the line.
Bukster

no problem

Reaction score
To me it sounds like since your boat is already on order the dealer is trying to stick it to you. I can't imagine a dealer telling you the top is 12k when pricing a new boat initially. Personally I prefer a factory top to an aftermarket one. And those aftermarket top prices generally don't include the canvas enclosure. I don't think there's any justification for much of the prices of our toys but 12k seems out of line. Good luck!

Old Lion

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. My dealer has always been straight with me. This is my second GW; same dealer, and excellent price on trade in of my first GW. He thinks that the factory HT is overpriced. All in, the HT was priced out at 12K. It sounds as if a high end aftermarket HT for about half the price is the way to go.

Korona

Reaction score
Plus if you go aftermarket you can work with the manufacturer to design it just the way you want.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We bought our Inslander new in March 2002 with a Vista top. Had a custom hardtop fabricated and installed by S&S Marine in Norfolk in Sept 2002. Cost was about $3,600 and it is a fantastic top. Full enclosure fabricated by Mike's Marine Custom Canvas in Virginia Beach was about $1,800. I'm sure prices have gone up in eight years, but not that much.

Our top is cored, but no problem standing on it. Had a 220# friend up there for several hours while scouting for cobia.

No mesh bag underneath, but the aft pipes are all the way aft so:
1) we have ten sets of Lee rod holders under the top, and can store 6.5' or even 7' rods.
2) the aft drop curtain is vertical, not at an angle, so you can stand on the fishbox behind the helm seat, or on the live well, behind the companion seat, and be snugly inside the curtain.

Brian

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got a price from a dealer in NW Florida of "about 10,000.00." This was last week. I also got an approximate price from a fabricator in Panama City, Florida of "about 3,600.00." Anybody got a picture of a GW with a fabric T-top?

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check with Noel at Redman marine in Maine he built mine and shipped it to Illinois for way less and the install was easy. He has a picture of mine on his website. Joe.

cgmiller

Reaction score
I bought a hardtop for a 24 Rampage a few years back from Atlantic Towers in Barnegat, NJ. It had been made for a larger boat and returned over a scratch that I could never find. They modified the pipes to fit my boat..it was a beautiful thing with a lightweight fiberglass top. recessed LED lights, etc...I think it was $3600. I had a t-top made for a 21 Mako in 2008 and it was about $3600 installed with 7 rod holders, etc. 12 grand is way out of line, especially in todays economy. I bought my entire rig for that and just sold my 21 mako with a 2009 engine with the new top, etc for 13.5K..boat, motor and trailer. ..I would think the fabricators would be hungry for work and making some good deals...