cost of trailer

patrick16

Reaction score
I am looking at trailers for a 257 Advance with twin 150's. I want something substantial and durable as we trailer a lot. I am looking at aluminum with stainless hardware and disc brakes. I have 2 quotes for two brands at $5,900 and $7,000. This is more than I expected. Are these numbers high? Any advice?

Thank you,
Patrick

seasick

Reaction score
Prices sound about right depending on brand, could be higher depending on upgrades like SS brakes ( electric will cost more) brakes on both axels ( triple axel will be more if needed). Rollers or bunks, all LED submersible lights, SS hardware etc.
This time in history is one of the worst times to look for a trailer. Demand is high, supply is low and that cranks up the pricing.
Some dealers have a several month deliver wait.

I see used ones for that size boat listed for $6,000. In addition, there aren't that many used ones out there especially for boats 25 feet and larger.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Paid 5300 for a 228. Had them over build it for up to 10lbs but well worth it.

Reactions: Pighunter

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had Eddie English trailers in Milton fl build mine. Great guys quality product. Fits the boat perfectly.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep, Owens and Sons is the company.

I went with Loadmaster out of Tampa. They had mine done in a little over a week for me, and took my old Loadmaster in on trade. I've had no issues at all and have trailered a bunch since I bought it. I'll have to look at the paperwork, but without a trade, I would have been in the $5-6K range for my 228 trailer. All stainless hardware, Kodiak brakes on both axles, LED lights. I did change to Goodyear Endurance tires and aluminum rims after I got home, highly recommended the Goodyear's.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I paid around $5k for my Owens. A custom trailer really makes a difference when you load the boat at the end of the day. It's a family run business and there is a reason they have such a good name. It's a local company for me but I would be one of those northerners driving to St. Pete for their work if I didn't live in the area.

Reactions: Holokai

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I paid $5600 for my Owens and Sons/Aluminum Slide On in late 2019. It’s for a 208 but had it a bit over designed for power loading. Tandem 3500 lb torsion axles, stainless brakes, upsized I-beams, target/keel bunks, side bunks, etc.

As others have mentioned before, full stainless electric over hydraulic brakes will add cost but are well worth it for safety if you’re towing a larger boat.

UCPA111

Reaction score
+1 for Loadmaster for my Seafarer. $5400 for SS hardware, electric over hydraulic, etc. I am located in Pennsylvania so I travelled to Norfolk VA to pick it up. Very pleased with it. Over 4500 miles of towing it thus far. As KY GRADY did, I upgrade later to AL wheels with Endurance tires.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I recently picked up a Loadrite elite aluminum I-beam trailer for my 20’ Overnighter. Led lights, main and front target bunks, guide poles, radial tires, dual axles with torsion suspension and brakes on both axles. Stainless brake lines, spare radial tire with mount.
The trailer uses a five pin wiring harness. The fifth pin goes to the vehicles reverse lamps which activated a trailer brake lockout so the trailer brakes don’t fight you when backing up.
Bottom line was just under $5,000.
This trailer loads, unloads, rides and handles like a dream.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I’ve had Loadmaster, Float On, and Owens over the years. All are in the same price range. Personal preference is the Owens.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For my very heavy 252G, I had a 2006 Road King that did very well for over 12+ years, but corrosion started to take over. I went back to Road King but overbuilt with heavier bunk brackets, all SS hardware, All SS Road King brakes and 16" custom wheels to get the trailer higher for my case to clear dragging in the driveway.
I priced both Loadmaster and Roadking and they were about the same. However, I had a hard time with the Loadmaster dealer trying to convince me to take what he had in stock I think was the issue. He didn't want to agree I needed a heavier trailer. However, I am very happy with this new Road King and I paid about $9K. If I recall, the Loadmaster was about $7900 without full SS Kodiak's and 16" wheels, so it might have been a bit higher if I could have convinced the dealer what I wanted.

I also have coated the entire trailer with Shark Hyde to protect better from corrosion!
After a year of saltwater dunking, the Kodiak's look like they were just put on the trailer.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I am looking at trailers for a 257 Advance with twin 150's. I want something substantial and durable as we trailer a lot. I am looking at aluminum with stainless hardware and disc brakes. I have 2 quotes for two brands at $5,900 and $7,000. This is more than I expected. Are these numbers high? Any advice?

Thank you,
Patrick

My Pacific trailer for my 228 was $7K. That gets you nice stainless disk brakes on all 4 wheels, 2 speed winch, bearings that need nothing for 5 years, well made trailer. I had a few bumps at the start but it all got sorted. I'm happy with it.

JM321

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I just picked up a new trailer from AmeraTrail in Kissimmee, FL, for my Freedom 235. Prices are up there now due to the market. Tried looking for a used one with no luck. 9900 GVWR with Kodiak brakes, aluminum wheels with Vortex hubs (6 year / 100K mile no MX), Aluminum spare tire mounted with spindle, LED lights with additional backup lights. $8200. Checked with Owen & Sons, basically the same price (nice folks) but went with AmeraTrail, since I previously had one with another boat with no problems.

jasgator5220

Reaction score
Model
Advance
I had an aluminum trailer built for my 257 in central Florida . . $5,200.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pacific Trailer $6,800 after Fred Ward show discount. Have no idea who he is, but I accepted it.
West Coast has limited choices and pricey, but am happy with the build.