Cost of winterizing / Stroring 28 Sailfish

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anybody have the cost of winterizing boat and engines, bottom wash, shrink wrap, water pump replacement and storage of a Sailfish with 4 strokes. I was suprised at a $3,600 bill. Does this seem ball park?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
:shock:

Than seems very high to me. I do my own work, and store on my property, but from what I know here in Delaware, you can store ANY boat for $50.00, that you can bring to one particular large dealership (ShortsMarine). If they have to haul, wash and store for you, it will run in the neighborhood of $375-400. Tha does not include changing pumps or winterizing, so that would probably run $400 to maybe $500, P&L.

Altogether, I am thinking about $1000 should cover it. They are not known for being inexpensive, either.

I know the $50 winter storage is true, and it generates a lot of other business for them, so with all the property they own, they have a little gold mine. I think your dealer would have some 'splaining to do', if he charged me that much.

Did he give you flowers and a box of candy?

on edit: I forgot to mention shrinkwrap. I had them shrink-wrap my Sailfish a few days ago, and that was $300. Even if you doubled these prices for your location, it still seems that you are being charged about 1k too much.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I was paying $1,500 for inside storage which included hauling and pressure wash but found a much better deal.

My marinas published rates are $4.75/ft for pressure wash, shrink wrap $18/ft, hauling $7.50/ft, winterizing a 2 stroke $200 which is a lower unit oil change and fogging, four stroke is $250 and adds an oil change to the mix. Water pump replacement should take 1.5 hours plus the pump so figure $250 or so per pump. Winterizing the rest of the boat depends on what you have on the boat but figure at lease another $250. Outside storage around here runs about $30/ft. So figure to haul, pressure wash, shrink wrap and store will run you about $60/ft.

Figure $60/ft x 28ft =$1,680 for haul, P/W, S/W & outside store
Plus $500 for t-stats
Plus $500 for engine winterizing
Plus $250 for the rest of the boat.

Totals $2,930.

Full wax hull and deck $26/ft.

So unless they waxed the boat or did more than you listed I would say your bill is high by $600 - $800.

I do all my own work, this year stored inside I am in it for a grand +/-not including my time, the new trailer I had to purchase and I did not do the water pump, that will be done in the spring. Best thing is that I know it is done and done the way I want it.

freddy063

Reaction score
I've been screwed over too on work done, I never have anything done now until I get a estimate, with a scope of work outlined. But that price seems high in my book, but I do as much of the work I can my self. I don't have a lot of money. My boats out in the yard and covered with a blue tarp, two buckets of damp stop in it and on blocks. live and learn

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a friend who used to pay about $4,500 to do the entire boat including storage for his 03 300 Marlin. He now pays alot less since I taught him how to do everything himself.

Fin-isher

Reaction score
I just paid a little over $1,200 to be hauled, blocked, pressure washed, winterization which includes changing lower unit oil and pumps, and shink wrapping. I learned the hard way last season by not having a clear list of charges in advance. It amazed me how many liberties some will take because they figure if you own a Grady, you're loaded and you won't care.

tilewave

Reaction score
my last year bill on my 265 express ( very similiar to sailfish )to haul in & out, power wash, winterize 2 outboards, winterize the head, shrink wrap & block & store was about $1900+. they told me rates were going up a little, i figured this year would tip over $2000. ( this did not include water pumps or thermostats). that is why i decided to haul boat home @ $ 400 each way, $350 to wrap,

Tommyboy

Reaction score
Winterizing cost

I had my 25 Sailfish lifted/powerwashed/hauled to mech shop/both engines winterized/AC winterized/shrinkwrapped , hauled to my house and blocked for under@1,100.00 I also spent an additional$400 on jack stands, but I will use them for many many years (hopefully)

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Depending on a few things I don't really think that is high for a marina to do all of it.

Questions: When they winterize the engines do they change all the plugs/filters (On the engine as well as the racors), etc?

Are the replacing the water pumps or just the stats?

If they are doing ALL of the above it's right in line......Of course, if you do it yourself it's much cheaper...But, winterizing all the boat systems (Fresh water/salt water, A/C), both engines as described above, replacing the pumps, shrink wrap, storage, etc....That price isn't bad at all...

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fishermanbb said:
Depending on a few things I don't really think that is high for a marina to do all of it.

Questions: When they winterize the engines do they change all the plugs/filters (On the engine as well as the racors), etc?

Are the replacing the water pumps or just the stats?

If they are doing ALL of the above it's right in line......Of course, if you do it yourself it's much cheaper...But, winterizing all the boat systems (Fresh water/salt water, A/C), both engines as described above, replacing the pumps, shrink wrap, storage, etc....That price isn't bad at all...

Yes they replace filter plugs and water pumps. The water pumps are done every third year. Every year I say I am going to do more myself, But once you get into mid November Its cold and nasty and I end up telling them to do it all. The good news is that it is a turnkey operation. Show up in the spring all I need to do is the paint the bottom, wash and wax and it's ready to go. I'm hoping the gas will be 1.20 by May 1!!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
BobP said:
$50??

Capt Bill, good thing you don't live in downstate NY.

Well, you know just when I go saying it, they raise the price: :evil:

http://www.shortsmarine.com/cgi-bin/td/ ... d=101&did=

But it seems that dealers in other states would get into this too. It works like a magnet, pulling in many more boats for winter storage than the competitors, and then they get to shrink-wrap most of them, as well as winterizing, power-washing, AND, botom-paint in the Spring along with all the other things that are needed. It generates a lot of business at the give-away storage fee.

Isn't anyone in NY, (or anywhere else) doing this?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Capt Bill said:
I had them shrink-wrap my Sailfish a few days ago..

Oh, say it isn't so. Our great striper fishing is just beginning, and we are in a weekend-long tournament this weekend raising money for Toys for Tots.

Winterizing down here is adding pink RV antifreeze (or cheap vodka) to the potable water system, putting the Mr. Heater, Jr. onboard, and getting the big bag of gloves and knit hats out of storage... :D :D

Sorry, but the devil made me do it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
ocnslr said:
Capt Bill said:
I had them shrink-wrap my Sailfish a few days ago..

Oh, say it isn't so. Our great striper fishing is just beginning, and we are in a weekend-long tournament this weekend raising money for Toys for Tots.

Winterizing down here is adding pink RV antifreeze (or cheap vodka) to the potable water system, putting the Mr. Heater, Jr. onboard, and getting the big bag of gloves and knit hats out of storage... :D :D

Sorry, but the devil made me do it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh, yes, I'm sad to report. It is true. Finally gave up on the weather cooperating for some fall striper fishing, and as it turns out, I think that proved to be a good move. We've had some really lousy weather here for more than a month, and it's not getting any better.

Glad to hear you're getting out; having some fun and for such a worth cause. (Like we even need a reason :)

So I've switched gears. Will be finishing my router shop; working on a list of boat projects, and maybe taking a little time to do some Florida fishing for a bit.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think you are in the ball park. I do all my own winterizing and I am still paying almost $2500 for hauling, pressure wash, spring launch, shrink wrap(34' for my 30' marlin) and storage. My marina does a great job but are pricey. About $700 of that is for shrink wrap and I know I could get it done for 1/2 that... but my marina will not allow boat owners or anybody else to do shrink wrapping... I assume for insurance/liability purposes. I'm really happy with my marina so I pay the price.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
HDGWJOE said:
(34' for my 30' marlin) About $700 of that is for shrink wrap

Joe, that seems VERY high for shrink wrapping a 30' boat. I bought a 300' roll a couple of years ago for about $500 that should last me about 5 years and I need 52' to cover the bow and the engines.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Marinas can be very prickly on what owners are allowed to do while the boat is there, especially high level fully equipped marinas. For off season storage, some owners take their boats elsewhere (i.e seasonal parking lot owners or vacant property owners adjacent to waterways doing the offering).

Includes hauling and blocking and then can do whatever they want or don't want, the sanding and painting stuff may get hairy with the environment regs. No services are offered. People along canals hire the barge cranes to hoist up onto their docks.

I recall some guys asking $500 to store any boat,some time ago.
The marina owners wised up to this, depending on the economic times: started adding a surcharge on summer renters if they didn't keep the boat there in winter (surchareg was 1/2 teh price of teh storage fee!), then later only offering full year contracts. When times are bad, they didn't charge any surcharge.

This is the only right thing to do for trailerable boats since people like me would get screwed, who actually haul their boats home for winter storage- not to another provider who is competing. If I had a 45 ft Viking, then surcharge is right thing to do since boat is likely going to cheap low baller.

They also charged overtime summer storage if you didn't stay for winter, fisherman like me were getting screwed for November. even though they knew we were coming back in the spring with deposits down. I was at a marina for many years that went from being broke, many empty slips, no deposit for next season, to going worse to Chapt 11, then going to new docks, new slips, swimming pool, etc., waiting list, and the way the two brother owners treated us was just as extreme. Now it looks like they will be sucking wind and have to be nice now to people. Too bad.

Even with the boat hauling service I hire to get it home and back, the savings for DIYers with older boats especially, can be massive (even though it just ends up in the gas tank anyway!).

I can hire a mobile shrink wrapper to come to my driveway at a considerable discount over marina charge (what esle is new?).

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
$2500 to haul, block, pressure wash, wrap, then splash in the Spring? OUCH! I hope that at least includes the engine service and winterizing.

I'm in the wrong business.

Sprocket

Reaction score
$$$$

Wow, I have seen it all regarding winter and summer storgage. I have had a 34' sailboat and was held "prisoner" to the boat yards. Hauling, mast stepping, bottom washing (manditory service), storage = $1800+ and going up. Let's face it, with the cost of waterfront property, the yards have to get their money from all available sources.
When I bought the Sailfish, I said "no more" to being a hostage. I bought a trailer for $6500 and figure that I will have it paid off in 5 years with what I am saving in yard bills. Now I do all the winterization myself, including shrink wrap. I keep the boat in an off shore storage facility. This year I paid: $10 per foot storage ($300), $120 for shrink wrap materials, including zipper door, $12.00 antifreeze, $8.00 fogging oil, $32.00 lower unit oil. Pretty much all done for $500.00. It took 2 weekend days to get everything completed.