Cost to re-wire a '94 22

lapmd1

Reaction score
Friends-
I have a 22 1994 tournament; was my father's and very important to me. The wiring is a complete mess and was wondering for those of you who have had it done, (ballpark) how much was it to be professionally done? is around $3k reasonable? Located in NE. Thanks so very much!

seasick

Reaction score
It depends on what the scope of the rewiring is: It can be very expensive and a lot of labor. By scope, I mean selective wire replacement or everything like battery cables, dash wiring, bow wiring etc. Are all old wires removed? Are new wires color coded to match the original? As mentioned, it can be a real hard job Remember that the boat for the most part was prewired at the factory before the deck was attached. It was a lot easier job.

lapmd1

Reaction score
great question. dont care about aesthetics about color, etc; just want it clean and reliable; thus would be full replacement with all old stuff removed with new fuse blocks, wires, etc.

seasick

Reaction score
Ask a lot of questions about what components exactly will be replaced or rewired and get that in writing. $3k sounds like a good price, maybe too good for a complete rewire by a pro, especially if the old wiring is going to be pulled out. That may prove to be difficult since cables may be attached to the hull in places you can't easily get to.

Reactions: lapmd1

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
great question. dont care about aesthetics about color, etc; just want it clean and reliable; thus would be full replacement with all old stuff removed with new fuse blocks, wires, etc.
You may not actually need a full upgrade, even if it looks like a complete rats nest, may still have some function. Understand that you’re not looking for any future problems though. If you’re adding radar and gadgets it would get expensive. You could also go the poor mans route with a handheld radio that charges at home, handheld air horn, and cheap battery lights instead of the wired. I think it’s awesome you’re getting dads boat going again

Reactions: lapmd1