Cost to replace the eisenglass on my cockpit enclosure?

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
To everyone who has replaced the eisenglass on their cockpit enclosures, I am wondering what you paid? Mine are all cracking. Bought her used and only the back panel had been replaced in 12 years as far as I can see on the records. Its cold here in the northeast. Gonna have to bite the bullet and get this done.

seasick

Reaction score
Do you need everything replaced or just the clear plastic? A good canvas shop can reuse the canvas and just replace the clear plastic at a lot less cost that replacing everything. A new set of curtains, canvas and plastic , custom made, will cost in the thousands easily.

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Do you need everything replaced or just the clear plastic? A good canvas shop can reuse the canvas and just replace the clear plastic at a lot less cost that replacing everything. A new set of curtains, canvas and plastic , custom made, will cost in the thousands easily.

Sorry to be unclear. Just the plastic. Canvas is fine. I have a couple requests out for quotes locally but just trying to find out what others have paid.

seasick

Reaction score
The cost of materials can vary widely depending on the brand of plastic and its thickness. Cheaper plastic can be had for 10 bucks a square yard, while the higher end plastics can run 45 dollars a square yard or more. Labor to replace plastic will be a lot less than making all new curtains and in addition, the canvas person doesn't have to come to the boat to mark and set snaps. Pricing is hard to estimate. A couple of quotes would help but make sure you know what you are getting, quality of the plastic and what thickness.

jigstrike

Reaction score
To everyone who has replaced the eisenglass on their cockpit enclosures, I am wondering what you paid? Mine are all cracking. Bought her used and only the back panel had been replaced in 12 years as far as I can see on the records. Its cold here in the northeast. Gonna have to bite the bullet and get this done.
I had mine done last year on my marlin. I paid around 2400.00 for eisenglass. Strataglass, and some of the other stuff was more.

seasick

Reaction score
I had mine done last year on my marlin. I paid around 2400.00 for eisenglass. Strataglass, and some of the other stuff was more.
Was that cost just to replace the clear sections?

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Was that cost just to replace the clear sections?

I am wondering the same Seasick. By my measurements I would need 2 54 x 110 inch rolls for this job. The back window was replaced just before I bought the boat so I don't need that one. Strataglass would be about $250 a roll and Crystal clear $160. Dont know what the labor would cost but I cant assume more than a few hundred dollars. I will find out tomorrow. Only heard back from one guy so far and he did not give me pricing yet. Just said he was operating now. We are in lockdown here in NY.

Pighunter

Reaction score
I am wondering the same Seasick. By my measurements I would need 2 54 x 110 inch rolls for this job. The back window was replaced just before I bought the boat so I don't need that one. Strataglass would be about $250 a roll and Crystal clear $160. Dont know what the labor would cost but I cant assume more than a few hundred dollars. I will find out tomorrow. Only heard back from one guy so far and he did not give me pricing yet. Just said he was operating now. We are in lockdown here in NY.
What did you find out?

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
What did you find out?

Cost me $900. I have 2 panels each side, 2 windsheild panels and 3 back panels. The main back panel and one of the smaller panels had been replaced before I bought her so i did not need those. Have zippers in the glass on the 2 main sides which they also replaced. Should be ready mid week. Its cold fishing here right now so I will be happy when I can pick them up. It would have been less if there were less peices covering the same size they said.

seasick

Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. Hope it turns out great.

Lonewolf2731

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just make sure they put in good eisenglass. There are varying gauges starting at 20 gauge to 40 gauge.

seasick

Reaction score
Just make sure they put in good eisenglass. There are varying gauges starting at 20 gauge to 40 gauge.
The thicker materials can get pretty stiff in the colder temps. If you have panels that can be rolled up, the thicker may not allow them to roll tight enough to tie back. Same goes for eyebrow windows. The 30 mill stuff is a decent general compromise.

The quality of the plastic is much more than just thickness.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What clear material did you go with? Plain clear vinyl comes by the running yard, usually 54-60 inches wide, as long as you want. The good stuff, like Strata Glass, comes in the 54 by 110 sheets(which can then be rolled for shipment), because they are pressed and polished, and that is the size of the press.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Prob $3k at A&J’s canvas in vanceboro nc. GWs supplier.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just had aj do mine. You send them the old make any change notes and $3200 later they were on my door step. Had a local guy do the final fitment. Went white with strata glass. Local guy said they used a lower thickness then 40mm which he recommends for strata. It does seem fine to me. On mine the sides were a little short up front so added an inch to them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
They make all the enclosures for GW. I have the strata and the cream color stamoid fabric and no issues at all.

Fishtales

Reaction score
BTW, they will loan you the tools to put the snaps and lift-the-dots on so no need to have a local shop do it. It is really easy to do and pretty much anyone can do it.