Could Use Some Advise...

vero1988

Reaction score
I am in the market for my first boat as I have been staring at my empty boat slip for almost a year.

I have budgeted about 11000 for a boat and have always loved the look of the Grady Whites and some have told me that the boats are awesome.

Now I can get a pretty decent newer boat for 11000, but I came across a 1988 22' Grady that looks nice.

Do you guys recommend the Grady being that old? Or should I buy a newer boat and get my dream Grady when the money situation is a bit better. Lets assume that it is well taken care of and the motor is a 150hp 1998.

I am worried about the thing falling apart on me because of its age, but again I am a new boat owner thus not experienced.

Your help would be great.

Thank You,
Trav

92explorer

Reaction score
If you are concerned, spend the money on a survey, Your surveyor will tell you the true condition and value. Ask some people in your marina who a reliable one is

grady 306 bimini

Reaction score
welcome... a few things that you should take into consideration is can you handle a boat that size being a first time boat owner. with the motor if you could go four strokes instead of 2 strokes or hpdi's
good luck with the search
tw

vero1988

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I am hoping a close buddy can use his mechanical background for the survey otherwise I'll spend the money.

I believe I can handle the size. I'll take the time to learn. Pilot by profession I am quite the nerd when it comes down to practicing maneuvers and memorizing the manual.

Is the 150 enough for that hull? I am more concerned with gas mileage than breaking 50 mph, but most the grady's I have seen have a little more power behind them.

Thank you for the welcome... hope shortly I'll be a legit member with a Grady to brag about.

vero1988

Reaction score
If I could add... I am reading a whole lot of negative reviews on the 1998 Johnson 150hp Fuel Injected 2-Stroke. I believe I came across.. "wouldn't touch with a 12 foot poll".

Truth to these haters?

catch22

Reaction score
vero1988 said:
Is the 150 enough for that hull?

No... not really.

200 or 225 is typical for a 22 Grady.

vero1988 said:
If I could add... I am reading a whole lot of negative reviews on the 1998 Johnson 150hp Fuel Injected 2-Stroke. I believe I came across.. "wouldn't touch with a 12 foot poll".

Truth to these haters?

If by "fuel injected" you mean "Ficht", (which I thought was Evinrude) then run the other way. A 150 carbed, (Johnson Ocean runner) is ok... but still under powered for that boat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You should have the same concern with any brand boat, don't think because it's a Grady you don't need to be concerned, nor will you ever find any boat brand where no such concern exists. If you buy new like cars the warranty will protect you. Buying a used boat is like buying a used house, termite inspections, engineers inspection, etc. The motor get checked by a mechanic, just like buying a used car.

Spend time at www.thehulltruth.com, lately I see them working over Prolines, they just beat up a Grady I/O beached on the rocks before Prolines.

Boats have a long way to go before they equal the state of new car quality, I'd say the boating industry is 10 yrs behind the car industry but improving.

Good luck.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would have the boat surveyed by a competent person that you trust. After all it is a 20 year old boat. Care and maintenance can keep one in top shape but you never know how its been treated by someone else. Water intrusion woudl be a top concern which could lead to transom and stringer issues.

As far as the 150HP engine I think that is grossly underpowered. My 22' Seafarer has a 225 and that's a good fit for this boat. Before I puchased my current boat I sea trialed a Seafarer with a 200HP and that was acceptable. I don't remember the top end with the 200 but was able to get on plane in an acceptable time with 3 people on board an 3/4 tank of fuel.

There are a lot of boats for sale right now and it's really a buyer's market. I wouldn't settle on the first one I saw but woudl shop around for the best deal. Good luck

richie rich

Reaction score
just remember, for a boat that old, you WILL need to spend some time and money replacing old wear items like fuel lines, wire connections, maybe even some old corroded battery leads, wash down pumps, bilge pumps, motor water impellers or corroded shift shaft etc etc etc.....if all you have is 11k, I would spend around 9 or 10 max and use the rest to make it seaworthy...you will need it and the cash will be gone fast

vero1988

Reaction score
Thanks again. 150hp does seem small, especially with the ocean access right near by.

Perhaps 11K is not very reasonable to get into a nice Grady. I'll keep look'n

Average Joe

Reaction score
Keep looking. If what you mean is you only want to spend 11k you are going to have to look at smaller boats to get one in good condition IMO.

You might be better off saving a little more $ and maybe finance some of the cost. Last thing you want to do is buy someone else's problem.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
1. Survey
2. Sea trial

Both have to pass.

dadsgirl

Reaction score
We bought our 1988 228G about six years ago from an owner who basically used it and put it away. It took loads of elbow grease to make her look good again. Ours is powered by an Evinrude 200, could use a little bit more power. Just plan on going over all the systems and spending a few bucks. All said, it's a great boat.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Several points:

1. the 150hp is totally wrong for that hull. 200hp or 200hp H.O. or a 225hp is the required ticket for the job. Wonder how he's got that engine propped and what it turns at WOT. Top end can't be more than 30mph.

2. the package you are looking at is over priced; engine worth $3,000 and the hull about $4-5,000.

3. move on. You can do better in this market.

4. Good luck...! Your boat will come..

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My 1998 came with an Ocean Pro 150 carbed. The motor started fine but when it got warm or hot, heaven forbid you turn it off or it die idling, because starting it was a pain. had to replace the power pack twice and had an OMC factory authorize dealer service it twice for stalling. Finally, I was in the Keys refueling at Sunshine Key, started the motor heading out of the jetty there and it stalled. The tide was going out and the tide in the passes in the Florida Keys is very fast. Right before we were pushed into the coral jetty, she started. Not soon after, I repowered with a Yammy F150. I hated the Ocean Pro.

It seems small or under powered for a 22 footer given the weight of the boat. But, then again take it for a sea trial and have it surveyed before you buy. Maybe it will surprise you, it meaning the 150 hp motor. Good luck.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Smoky, seems more like the dealer didn't know what he was doing, very common, very few good troubleshooters around these days, many spark plug changers though. May have been a corroded/loose connection, that's all it takes.

I discovered a crushed harness cable under my V berth area causing strange intermittant performance, the cable had been wedged into and crushed and a few a few wires with copper exposed. No professional mechanic in the creation of mankind would have suspected that, nor done anything about it to verify condition, meanwhile the check book would have been certainly cleaned out and the motor performance not change a bit.

The VRO carbed OMC motors were sold by the million, way more than Yamaha and Mercury combined, but like anything else, need proper dealer support.