Count your blessings

Average Joe

Reaction score
Yep. A friend of mine in our Clear Lake, TX office lost his 23' Robalo when the boatel caught fire. He said he never imagined the last time he went fishing was the last time he would see his boat. :cry:

Bebo

Reaction score
I keep my boat there and got it out at midnight two days before Ike hit. Even made a separate trip for the golf cart. While we were there we saw so many boats left behind I felt like maybe I was being too paranoid. I considered leaving it to ride it out like everybody else, but we had the place all to ourself and decided to go ahead as planned. I am so glad I got it out. I have about 300 pictures just like those. I have a boat in my driveway, all safe and sound, that I have spent much of my time on while waiting for the lights to come on at my office in Galveston.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Some of these guys were hung from slings, and didn't do as well as expected vs. being in the slip, seems like.

What's the story on slinging the boat from the overhead structure? Was that the storm plan or boat is in long term storage? I'm not familiar with these outdoor type of structures, none around here.

Bebo

Reaction score
The Galveston Yacht Basin has a few different storage means. Dry stack and covered sling are the most popular. I have the covered sling and love it. Always in the shade and no bottom paint are my two favorite advantages.
Too many people left their boats, some made it, if they were not too tall to keep from hitting the roof and were lucky enough not to be hit from the loose floating boats.
This storm prediction was up and down the coast and some people just waited too long. The traffic around Houston goes nuts when a storm approaches. I think many were for sale in a bad market as well.

I cant wait to get back there.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I looked at all the photos again, the sling boats didn't do well.

Were they blowing in the wind back and forth ? They all couldn't have been clipped by other boats. Or did the water level raise them partially out of the slings?

Since I don't see any pilings disloged and the overhead structure survived, perhaps the sling mounted boats would fare better if lowered in the water and secured to the pilings with double lines and more fenders just in case, in a pinch run down to the town dump and get some spent tires. Perfect as storm fenders if you need more.

Not everyone can get their boat out nor have a place to go.

There is a few commercial looking boats that sank, incl. the one with the tires - some kind of towing vessel. Did the commercial guys spend less time securing, double lining, etc. ?

My entire discussion is intended for damage avoidance in next event, and there will always be a next event.

Nothing we can do about what has expired. There is a silver lining in every cloud, IMHO, in this case, lesson learned for next time around.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
It looks like a few made it out ok. My boat would not have been there I garentee that. I would have taken it out of the slings if I had one of those docks. The workboats made out the worst it looks like I think the one with the tires was a pilot boat (white over red lights on the mast) they wernt as well secured because the crews were probally more worried about their homes and personal boats.

timo14

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing as Bob... the boats in the slings fared way worse than the rest. From a couple of the photo's, it looks like the boats were pushed back out of the slings, or maybe floated up and back. Maybe a combination of high water and some waves? Either way, pretty ugly. Hope everyone had their premiums paid up.

Bebo

Reaction score
The water rose about 8 feet over the top of the dock. All the boats that were not secured and low enough to float did. The wind pushed them around and over the docks. The tall boats hit the roof and crushed the hardtops and tuna towers. They were raised as much as possible in most cases. Some didn't bother to raise them or even tie them off.

There is one 50' yacht that was tied up too tight and sank because it didn't rise with the 14 foot of tide change.

Some of the larger boats tied off between the docks as to not hit the roof.