Cover vs shrink wrap

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have been using an off the shelf semi custom cover for both of my gradys for years. It is not as form fitting as the custom fisher cover but works very well in the northeast winters. I built as support system out of wood, its labeled and saved and at this point I can put it together fairly quickly. Because of the wide beam on these boats there is a little gap between the cover and the gunnel midship. Which I actually think helps with ventilation. The cover breathes so I don't have mildew or mold problems. I also has zippered sections to make getting in and out easy. It rolls up and fits in a rubbermade storage bin for the summer. Both covers easily paid for themselves in a couple of years vs. shrink wrapping.
I have an off shelf cover from cabelas. One bit of advice I can give for this is besides buying the cover designed for your general boat design like walkaround cuddy, buy the next size up.
if you buy a 20’ cover for a 20’ boat it’s going to be very close and you’ll be fighting it to cover the rub rails. I have a 20’ Overnighter and have a cover for “up to 22” but it’s still kinda tight. If I buy another it’d be for a 24’er.

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
I use cover, Trailerable boat cover of icover, got me through my first year and so far so good. Standing water does leak through. Showing some fading from the sun. I bought it large to help cover further down the sides and cover the motor. Was a good idea, but it still doesn't protect the sides from the sun as much as I had hoped. east to get on and off. I am happy so far and would purchase again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
One other thing was the cover I got didn’t come with a storage bag. I found someone selling a hockey gear bag At a yard sale and grabbed it. Hockey bags are huge and work perfect for the cover.

Reactions: HookUp