Covering a Moored Boat

MA208

Reaction score
Have kept enclosure up so far, but I am getting a separate helm station cover for my 208 to go under the new hardtop that I'm getting. Just like to keep the weather off the helm seats, I keep the aft cushions in the cabin when not in use.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OK - Here's my 2 cents...

We have a Tournament 225 on a mooring and I have strong feelings on this one. We had a canvas cover made that spans from the windshield all the way back to the transom. The bow seating area has a canvas cover that came with the boat, so really the whole boat is under cover. This is a GREAT system, because the boat is always clean, its protected from the sun, and the batteries don't get taxed from the bilge pump in big rain events. The swim platform bracket on this boat makes it easy to board the boat and then unsnap the cover from the transom.

I think the deck drains pretty well, but I could see the scuppers getting fouled if I didn't attend to the boat regularly. As a side note, the only design problem I have encountered after 5 years with this boat is the placement of the scuppers partially submerged at the water line. I get alot of growth and barnacles in the scuppers, and I worry that a little debris from the interior side would be enough to cause a problem. It hasn't happened yet, but I stay on top of the issue. With the canvas mooring cover, the boat stays dry even in long heavy rain.

I have a friend in my mooring field whose boat sank at the mooring because of fouled scuppers, and the batteries eventually died from running the bilge pump. (It rained for 3 days.) So its an issue I think should be taken seriously. The complete lack of bird crap is pretty nice too :)

Anyway, it just takes a few minutes to take off the canvas or put it back on, and I thinks its a real benefit.

I hope everyone has a great season - I get the boat back on the mooring in a few weeks... pretty nice to look forward to :D

BCLII

Reaction score
Good to hear! I have a 205 Tournament and I am going to do the same! Make a cover that uses the windshield back to the transom, then a bow cover made for the front!
Thanks again for the confirmation that this works well! :goodjob
Byron

timberxx

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys.

Where are you going to get your cover for the 205? I can't find someone to do this unless its custom.

Thanks,

Frank

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Our cover was custom made by a canvas guy that the Grady dealer recommended to me. I had it made while the dealer still had the boat before we took delivery. Not the cheapest thing to do, and I sort of wish Grady offered this as an option. As I recall it was about $800 back in 2007. The guy did a nice job. Its neat as a pin, and it looks like it came original with the boat. He used the same fabric that Grady used for the bimini and the bow cover.

GOA

Reaction score
Just got a quote for a 205DC mooring cover custom-made at $1000. The canvas fabricator said that if you are racking the boat, a drawstring semi-custom would be much cheaper
GOA :wink:

Biscayne208

Reaction score
I had a custom made cover for my 208 and it slips over the pulpit and hangs off the hardtop rails and there are no drawstrings needed. It also has a strap that goes under the engines cavitation plate and that holds it plenty in the back.

IMG_1089-1.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

BCLII

Reaction score
timberxx said:
Thanks for the response guys.

Where are you going to get your cover for the 205? I can't find someone to do this unless its custom.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank, my mooring cover will be custom made using the Sunbrella fabric! It will have a ratchet for tightening the cover down. You will be able to put the ratchet on either the port or starboard side so one can cover the boat from the dock! My 205 DC will be in a wet slip all season here in MN. Went this route as I just don't like the fact of 50-75 holes drilled in the boat for snaps. I have all ready removed the 4 snaps on each side for the side curtains and countersunk the screw holes and re-installed before the gel-coat begins to crack(one already did). This guy has made a Bimini top for my Ranger in the past, he does very nice work! The cost is $745 and scheduled to be done the week of 4/30.
Good Luck,
Byron