Covers and Antennaes UPDATE

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is to provide some sort of buffer between hard surfaces. All I know is one antenna got the outer shell damaged (took 10 years to observe and got 2 more before replacing) under the wrap where the antenna slapped against the back edge of the hard top.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's what I use to support the cover in the rocket launchers and put on the handles of the antenna mounts. The poles are 19" long. Between these and the cover going over the motor, I have very little contact with the antennas.

20201208_211758_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thank you all for your responses...I appreciate the help.
I have ordered some pool noodles and I will be very happy to not have to re-do the connections again in the spring.

This forum is great...THANKS!

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
20201213_151130.jpg
Update.....love my new cover....fit well....seems durable and easy to install.
$350.00.....same as one year of shrink wrap.
A few pool noodles and some bubble wrap and we were good to go. Thanks all for your input.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
That’s a good deal for a cover of that size. I was looking at one that is 2200! I’d much rather spend 350.

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So I have a seafarer 226 with a top but no launchers.. no pulpit... And an outboard on the transom... What size do u recommend?

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore

These folks were great. I told them I had a 24 Offshore with a hardtop and they had the exact cover in stock. I was very happy with them.
I did add a few tarp clips and some rope but that is just me....my boat sits broadside to the open water and gets pounded with wind and weather all winter, so I am a little extra careful.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
KY, What cover are you using? I really like the look of yours for my 228.
Thanks!
That's a Carver brand. It came with the boat. Here's the order number from paperwork that I have when I bought the boat. PO had purchased it prior to me.

PhotoPictureResizer_190918_200558562_crop_2759x3047.jpg

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Obviously a taller antenna will get your VHF signals to go a bit farther, but if you are willing to switch to a 4' antenna (as I have) then it won't hang off the back of the hardtop when folded down. A trade-off worth thinking about...

Granseurd

Reaction score
Thanks KY. I've got an older G with bow pulpit, hard top and 8' antenna, but dimensions should be the same. I was looking at the Carver and may go with this same size/ model. Looks like an excellent fit for the Seafarers.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Whether or not the antenna pierces the covering depends in my experience with the type of covering. Shrink wrap for the most part doesn't move a lot and than reduces chaffing. My boat covers are canvas over frames and they do billow and wiggle in the wind. I have tall frames on both boats that allow me to enter easily and work on the boat in the winter if needed. The down side is that the covers have more area and therefore catch more wing. It is a love hate thing. A big advantage of a tall frame is that the sides of the cover are well slopped and snow tends to run off pretty well.
Being able to go aboard and stand up is nice to have but the covers can take a beating. I have had my antenna tip pierce my cover.
My frames are made of PVC pipe. It is relative cheap but if flexed when cold, it can and does break. The trick is to have a lot of straps to keep the PVC parts from moving.
Agree with pvc frame underneath the cover to support and take pressure off the antenna

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Why not just adjust the antenna's so they are about 6" to 12" above the hardtop when trailering? I do that on mine and they never hit and are no higher than the rocket launchers.
For covering, I use a PVC pipe arch mounted in the rocket launchers with a pipe going back to the transom, then a pipe vertically down to the transom to make a arch for the cover. The antenna's don't touch this way.

Reactions: PointedRose