cox boat trailers

dadsgirl

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a galvanized cox roller trailer to replace the float-on bunk trailer we now use on our 228G Seafarer. Does anyone use one of these trailers, are replacement parts available? I heard that Cox does not build boat trailers any longer, just utility trailers.

alashley

Reaction score
You are correct that Cox does not make boat trailers anymore. I have a single-axle that is over 35 years old and it is in very good condition. The frame has a few spots of brown staining, but is solid. The axles and springs are another story. They will probably have to be replaced this year. No amount of fresh water can completely rinse using this trailer in salt water.
On the up side is that most of the parts on a Cox trailer are common. That means you can go to a well stocked trailer dealer and find
what you need. I have replaced the keel rollers, roller pins, U-bolts, bearings, seals and dust covers. We built new guide bunks for
the 17' Whaler. The rims and tires have been upgraded.
On the down side is that Cox used trailer bearings (on this one, at least) that are not common now adays. These are 1" ID for
the axle shaft. Not a common size that is sold in sets. You need to measure them with a caliper when the hubs are off. Thus the need for a good trailer dealer. I was able to buy inner/outer bearings w/seals separately. The same with the springs and axle.
All trailers require maintenance. If you are creative and can put the preventative maintenance time in, you should not be disappointed with this, assuming it is in good condition from the start.
The trailer serial number is stamped either on the tongue shaft behind the trailer ball connection or port side rear corner where the
cross member is welded.
Good luck and stay ahead of the maintenance when the boat is off the trailer.
alan

quickplay

Reaction score
I recently acquired what I believe to be a mid 1980's Cox Fisherman series trailer that came with my 17' center console. I can see the outline on the tongue where the Mylar VIN sticker used to be. It is long gone. I searched for hours and found 6 numbers stamped onto the upper port side rear frame rail. To anyone reading this.......I am told all trailer VIN numbers are 17 digits long. If this is true, I am in NY, could this be a new assigned VIN number by the state so as to register it as home made? Anyone have a new state issued VIN on their trailer? How many digits are on yours? Thanks.