Crack in H/T frame

grady23

Reaction score
I was putting the tarp on th old girl this afternoon to protect her from the approaching ICE storm. I notice a crack in the vertical pipe that is in the ight rear down tube. It almost looks as though something caused it to burst from the inside. The crack is about 1/2 inch long and is bulged outward. Anyone ever had a problem like this? I plan to have a welder friend look at it this week!
BTW -- This is a 1997 Gulfstream that has been extremely well cared for.

noXcuse

Reaction score
Not sure where yours are, but on my boat, that's the same pipe that the power wires run inside to the overhead electronics box. I wonder if a wire shorted out inside there and has been arcing.

Shutterbug

Reaction score
Where is the crack on the vertical tubing, top, middle, bottom?
Can water enter the tubing and can it hold the water?
Water the freezes can cause an outward bulging or crack.

L.R.

Reaction score
Water in the Tubing froze,exspanded and cracked the Tube.Seen it before.

grady23

Reaction score
I checked and can't see anywhere that water could get in. I might pull the screws at the bottom and see if I get a shower. This part is where the frame comes all the way down the right/rear to the section that form the back edge of the bridge area. If you lift the fish box lid, it almost hits the pipe. The break is about 3Ft up from the botttom of the pipe-- About chest high. If I can find a way to post a pick I will. I'm fairly sure that all my wiring comes up thru a pipe from the lower box to the upper. That pipe seems to be there just for wiring.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Consider drilling a 1/8 in. hole near bottom of tube length away from a weld, wrap several layers of cheap black elec tape to seal, then flood HT with overspray from garden hose, 1/2 hour should do it, then peel off tape - does any water drain out ?

You can leave the hole forever and call it a "leak drain off", and/or seal the leak.

You have to remove all wiring for some distance or it will be gone (insulation) when the TIG welding takes place for the alum alloy repair. A lot of heat goes into it! Might as well grind it out now the crack.

I'd add hole and leave it , have repair done since cracks keep moving, and try to seal leak.

It would be interesting if no water pees out when removing tape.