Crappy situation - update!

Fishtales

Reaction score
That certainly looks like a cap. Maybe it was dropped in the tank when an installer was putting in electronics? Maybe was used to ensure the voltage to electronics was protected from droop? WhTever - you found the issue.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
pumpout= free
macerator = $800 and you have to be offshore to use it and it will break again

Oh....Is it a float switch????
Agreed. I think I'll just stick with the pump outs, but it would be nice to have the tank flushed before an overnight.
I wondered about the float switch, but have no idea what they look like for this application.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Mine hasn't worked since I've owned it. This winter I do want to figure out a way to read "Near full" and empty. Maybe remove the Groco pump and install some float switches.

Edit: yep this is the Groco tank sensor. I should probably just buy one of these for $400 but I'm way too cheap for that.

TLM_Series_Main_Image.jpg

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Mine hasn't worked since I've owned it. This winter I do want to figure out a way to read "Near full" and empty. Maybe remove the Groco pump and install some float switches.

Edit: yep this is the Groco tank sensor. I should probably just buy one of these for $400 but I'm way too cheap for that.

View attachment 27326
Ding, ding, ding! Looks like the part was a float switch!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ding, ding, ding! Looks like the part was a float switch!
Yea - that's a winner! Explains a lot.

Holding tank is small. You have to assume if you use it that it should be emptied every day. This past winter was a problem in Islamorada. My pump wasn't working - bad impeller. Bass Pro Shops pumpout system was broken. I could not find a marina in the 20 mile area that would do it. They have the service but its only for slip holders. I called BPS and the manager responded that he would get it fixed ASAP. I fixed my pump and emptied into a 5-gallon bucket and dumped in the house. Yuk!

Now I keep a section of hose in with the holding tanks in case I have to pompous at the dock. Also with my pump outside the tank it's easier to service.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

View attachment 27326
I could not get sensor to come out. I think some bozo used contact cement as a thread sealer. The cap is 8-sides. Could not fine a tool to get it out. Adjustable wrench kept slipping. I gave up!