Crazy Repower Idea

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello All,

My 1997 Grady White Seafarer 228G is in desperate need of a repower. I no longer trust the '97 Yamaha 225. My wife won't let me spend $20,000 on a new engine, but I can spend $10,000. I found an old 1988 Grady White 228G on craigslist that has been re powered with a 2018 Suzuki 200 with fly-by-wire for $15,000. The engine has only 15 hrs on it. Do you think this is a crazy idea to buy this boat just for the engine? I would replace the Yammie with the Suzuki and then sell the 1988 Grady without an engine. The 1988 Grady also has a brand new composite transom. I think it's worth $5,000 without an engine. This means I can get this engine for only $10,000. Also, do you think this Suzuki 200 will be enough power for my '97 228G that has the hardtop, two gas tanks and bottom paint?

Here is a link to the boat on Craigslist.

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/chester-22-grady/6889533157.html

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As you know, our boats are heavy. I would caution you on dropping down in HP. Unless you just piddle around, the 200 will struggle to get you up on plane and maintain it. When you have a full load of people and fuel, curtains up, bottom paint, I don't think you would be satisfied with the performance of a 200. The fourstroke 200 will have less grunt than your old school 2 stroke to get you up on plane also. Others may disagree with me, but myself, I'd stay with same HP or more, I'd never go backwards on HP.

If you go through with the purchase and your old motor is still running, I'd hang it on the Craigslist boat and sell as is.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I don't think it's a crazy idea if the motor is the right size. I'd be concerned about power. It's not that it won't move you....but when I'm in waves I want more power than less.
I've known people to do exactly what you're proposing.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't know your application so can't really comment if it will work. You have to take into account several things, like load fuel and where you are using the boat.
From my experience owning two 228's one with soft top and 250 Merc optimax and the current 228 with 4.2lt 250 Yamaha, I wouldn't want anything less than 250. I use the boat for offshore fishing in the pacific, sometimes with lots of current ( up to 5MPH) and sometimes big seas . I don't want the boat to bog down going up waves.
If you use it in calm water and you don't care about speed it will work with the right prop.
If you end up buying this boat and you can do the engine swap yourself you should swap the old Yamaha to the boat you buy and sell it as a package.
If I was you I would try harder to convince the wife on a new engine as long as your boat is in sound condition.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Here is an idear. Go sea trial that 228 with new motor and see how you like it's performance. While it's not a SeaV2 hull, it will give you an idear on how your boat will perform.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There is a big difference between the SV2 and pre-SV2 hulls as far as power requirements. 200 hp was fine on the pre-SV2 hull. They are lighter and don't have as much wetted surface area. Most of the older 226/228 boats came with 200 hp 2-strokes. Not so for the newer design. You are going to lose a lot of torque with an in-line 4 stroke 200 hp engine vs what you have now.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
There is a big difference between the SV2 and pre-SV2 hulls as far as power requirements. 200 hp was fine on the pre-SV2 hull. They are lighter and don't have as much wetted surface area. Most of the older 226/228 boats came with 200 hp 2-strokes. Not so for the newer design. You are going to lose a lot of torque with an in-line 4 stroke 200 hp engine vs what you have now.
Go with what Doc says....ignore what I wrote. He is correct.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The suzukis are geared down to give more torque to a bigger prop.
Will it have less power than a 225 or 250? yes
Will it or any other 200 (except Honda;)) be a lame dog on a 22 ft hull with an 8ft beam ..I don't think so.

Will it get up easily and cruise in the mid 30s, yep. get great gas milage, yep

Sounds like a viable solution to a motor dilemma.... if you can sell the hull...
Transferable warranty??? If not, by a new engine for $15k