Cruising ideas from South Jersey

fshnfool

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Outside my usual fishing I wanted to take the wife on a few day cruises and maybe even an overnight one. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to visit? I am docked in Wildwood, NJ. Keep in mind I have 208 adventure so that is a bit of a limiting factor.

bulldog2

Reaction score
FSH,
A nice little trip would be running up to the Manasquan river and beaching and camping at treasure island which is right outside the canal and do the dinner and drinks thing at the Wharfside/Patio Bar.Another more low key option is to run up to silver bay and stay on the boat and pack your food and stuff.Good luck -Pat L

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yo bull, that island, is that the one across from were the hospital used to be? You ever camped on it? If so, how was it, crowded, bugs etc?

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have taken the intercoastal waterway from Barnegat Bay to Atlantic City, it is a nice ride if your not in a big hurry (or draw more then three or four feet of water). I belive there is one or two no wake zones, but there are some nice waterfront homes and boats along the way to break up the monotony. Once you get to the middle of Barnegat Bay you could overnight at Clearwater (west side of Island Beach State Park).

I have visited Clearwater many times, just never overnigted there. Anchoring is not a problem, water is pretty deep for the bay (about six to nine feet I guess). Green flies can be a problem with a light west wind (this is true almost anywhere on the bay). It does get crowded during the day on weekends, but the crowd typically thins out around 6pm.

If you wanted to stay in a slip overnight, I'm not sure who offers overnight slips. I have always docked on a lagoon, so I am not much help with local marinas.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Metedekonk is a little nicer than the Manasquan, either one isn't bad though. Beaching it is MUCH better at Tices Shoal than Treasure Island and you'll pass it on the way up (Tices is all sand and not much current). If you hang a right out of the cannal and head East a couple miles, just before the inlet are a bunch of restaurants that have dock space.

The cannal can get a little nasty but you can handle it. With the right conditions you can get 3' confused waves in the cannal with someone going too slow to have any control in front of you.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tuna Man said:
We have taken the intercoastal waterway from Barnegat Bay to Atlantic City, it is a nice ride if your not in a big hurry (or draw more then three or four feet of water). I belive there is one or two no wake zones, but there are some nice waterfront homes and boats along the way to break up the monotony. Once you get to the middle of Barnegat Bay you could overnight at Clearwater (west side of Island Beach State Park).

I have visited Clearwater many times, just never overnigted there. Anchoring is not a problem, water is pretty deep for the bay (about six to nine feet I guess). Green flies can be a problem with a light west wind (this is true almost anywhere on the bay). It does get crowded during the day on weekends, but the crowd typically thins out around 6pm.

If you wanted to stay in a slip overnight, I'm not sure who offers overnight slips. I have always docked on a lagoon, so I am not much help with local marinas.

There is a marina in Barnegate , Mariners Marina accessible from the bay. It is a sail boat marina, but with the economy 1/2 his slips are empty. I have heard that they are letting power boats slip for one or 2 nights, 1$ per foot. not sure about electric or water but you can use there bathhouse and they have a resurant. Plus must be very quiet. They dont allow poeple to hang out and drink and play loud music, ect. Give them a call they might be able to accommodate you.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pretty sure most respectable marinas keep a few slips for transient boaters. Mine does and he charges 25 a nite but local ordinances prohibit sleeping on the boat which sucks.

merlin25

Reaction score
I haven't made that trip yet but I am thinking about something similar. I am in Avalon and the ICW near me is pretty good with your typical scattered no wake zones. ICW does get narrow on a stretch across the Great Sound between Stone Harbor and Avalon - stick close to the bouys. Let us know how you make out after your trip.