Cruising Maine in Our GW Voyager

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My dear wife and I just completed an 8 day cruise on our 97 24ft. Voyager. We couldnt be more pleased with the boat and the experience. Here are a few details: The ports of call-starting in Marblehead Ma-1) Rockport Ma -docked nest to Motif # 1 @) Portsmouth NH -Moored in Pepperll cove 3) {Portland Maine Falmouth foreside Moored at portland Yacht club 4)Chebeque Isle Casco bay -5) Snow Island C BAy 6) Sebasco harbor resort. We spent a day in each port except Falmouth foreside and Sebasco we spent two days. It was a wonderful adventure. This was part of a Corinthian Yacht Club annual cruise. About 25 sailboats and 3 power boats.
We wnt through a total of about 4 hours of fog-not too bad for Maine standards-it was my first experience as a captain in fog and I did pretty well following the gps and radar. For two hours I was solo boat coming up from Portsmouth to Portland when we ran into the foog bank. One of the nice things about fog is that it comes and GOES. There is nothing more exhilirating than seein the fog lift and Viewing the new sights. The next time it came in was when we were beginning a transit from snow to Sebasco- we formed a fog formation with the fleet and followed the boat in front of us for two hours (The boat name (Ruby) is firmly etched in my brain.
We only hit one patch of heavy seas-I think it was a wind against tide issuse and wave coming into shallower water-The waves were four or five feet and somewhat confused-we went through that for an hour before we were able to get back in the lee of the island structure of Casco bay.
Our daughter and grandchildren who live in Portland joined us at Falmouth foreside and Sebasco-They really enjoyed themselves meeting other children ashore who were cruising.
We slept on the boat for 5 nights and stayed in Inns at Falmouth foreside, Chabeaque and Sebasco. The mooring places were usually well protected and we did not experience any big chop or rock and roll. we were pretty confortable.
In the ports, one more beautiful than the next, we did some partying with the cruise group either on shore or on the larger sailboats.

anticipating going home made me a little anxious as I did not want to come home in a 4 or 5 ft . sea. So we waited until we got a light westerly and went home in less than 2ft. seas. We left Sebascp -20miles east of Portland an first ligh 5:20 and arrived back home in Marblehead at 9:30 am We averaged about 25 mph at 37 to 3800 rpms. It was a glorious ride home -3 miles off the coast -followin the coast line. Because it was a little cold (45 went we left Sbasco) we buttoned all the curtains-even the aft curtain. It dept us warm but also dampened the engien sound so we could hear eccha othe r easily.
We saw whales, eagles osprey and jumping tuna on our wonderful voyage.
Total miles for the voyage 307 and we average about 2 mile per gal.
I am very thnkful for a great trip made possible by a great wife a great grady and a great Yammy ox66 250 engine. Thanks for listening Lew

Boat Hound

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip! I am happy to hear all went well. We must have crossed paths at some point, I left out of Portsmouth a week ago Weds and made it up to Casco Bay (Peaks Island) in a little under 2 hours with flat seas. Spent a good deal of the time exploring, while using Peaks as home base.

We returned last Thursday- Left Portland hit some nice 4-6'ers for about 10 miles, it gradually got smoother then into the fog for the rest of the trip- over 4 hours on the return trip and burning a ton of fuel! Really makes you appreciate a Grady and good electronics!

Casco Bay is a great cruising area for sure!

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sounds like a great trip -- and you certainly have the hang of the boat now!!

See you around town...

- Robert

Pete1313

Reaction score
Great post. I have a '97 voyager as well with a 250 OX66.

What prop do you have on your boat? I've got a 4 blade and don't like the fuel economy....my RPMs are way too high at cruise (4700-4900).....

Thanks,

Pete