Cruising speed

Marbles816

Reaction score
I'm interested in your thoughts... I'm thinking about looking at a 2012 CC Advanced model. It has a 300hp Yamaha. The seller is saying it cruises at 35 mph @4500 rpm. I'd like to trust him however, I had a '93 Gulfstream with 2006 Yamaha twin 150's and it's cruising speed was 27mph running at 4500 rpm. I know CC's are usually lighter than Walk Around type boats, but being the CC is 2 feet longer in length I'm thinking it would be about the same weight. What are your thoughts? TY

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not sure what your concern is. Yeah, you can cruise at 35, but more importantly is what is your fuel burn. Some setups have a broad cruise range that will net nearly the same mpg. My mpg from 4k-4.5k rpm is about the same, so I can cruise at 28-34 mph and use the same amount of gas for the distance traveled. The owner might be advertising that his rig is capable of cruising efficiently at 35 mph. All factory GW setups don't cruise as efficiently after 35 mph.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Yah my 228 will cruise at 35 at 4500. I run a 4.2 F250 with Power Tec OS4 4 blade prop. I would trust the guy and then you got your sea trial too and trust it yourself .

Marbles816

Reaction score
Not sure what your concern is. Yeah, you can cruise at 35, but more importantly is what is your fuel burn. Some setups have a broad cruise range that will net nearly the same mpg. My mpg from 4k-4.5k rpm is about the same, so I can cruise at 28-34 mph and use the same amount of gas for the distance traveled. The owner might be advertising that his rig is capable of cruising efficiently at 35 mph. All factory GW setups don't cruise as efficiently after 35 mph.
Sorry, maybe I didn't write my question correctly...

Fuel burn is my big concern.( Espsecialy with fuel prices now.) If I can have a 25 footer burn the same as a 23 footer running at 4500 RPM and having a speed at 35 that would be real nice. As mentioned in my original post, my 23 footer ran at 27 MPH at 4500 RPM. So I feel that on the water 27 MPH is a lot different than 35 MPH and that would be nicer gong faster, but not using more fuel and staying at the same RPM's too.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Gulfy is wider than the Advance, so it will be less efficient even if the Advance is a little longer. I don't doubt that a 25 Advance with a 300 will cruise up to 35 mph and still be within the "sweet spot" of efficiency. I would suspect that efficiency would drop of immediately thereafter. That said, I would want to see it with my own eyes if that is a deciding factor.