Curious what this trailer part is for

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, the trailer seems to "pull" a bit... may be me getting used to it.

I will admit, I am not used to pulling this heavy of a vehicle. I am guessing it is weighing around 8000 lbs right now. Not much in it but life vests.. the microwave... heh... engines.. and gas. The gas is not "full" but pretty close and I would guess somewhere around 150 gallons...ish.

I can tow 9200. I have the 10klb hitch and a 10klb ball and tongue.

I plan to take it and have a professional help set up the WD, but for last night, I went ahead and took it to be inspected about 2-3 miles down the road.. pulled okay with the air bags at like 62

Still, the surge brakes were... interesting...but, not too bad, and by the time I was heading back, I was feeling better about pulling it.. however...

I know the brakes are brand-spanking new.. so, I could smell them when I got home. I have a very sensitive nose.. heh... so, they need to wear in I am sure...still, rebuilt or not, those will be getting checked out asap as well as having a few parts replaced....and a 2nd jack stand added, so I feel more comfortable.

I noticed this chain... going to a lever.. it LOOKS to me to be a release brake.. i.e. on my other trailer, it is just a small wire that goes to the brakes.. if the trailer falls off, that gets pulled and it forces/locks the brakes.

Just making sure that is what this is as it looks rusty as heck as if it would break before it braked.. heh... but, looks to be the same thing.

Am I right on that?

Russ

Attachments

• IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The chain is connected to the lever that is just in front of the MC cap, right? Yes, it is the emergency brake - just like you are used to. FYI, that lever works really well for when you want to bleed the brakes.

For the chain and the tongue jack... look past the surface rust. If the links are solid and the jack appears solid and operates well, leave them be and spend your money elsewhere.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Rogolio.. will oil them and see how they are... maybe get a wire brush and make sure they are solid.

FYI - I just snaked a Garmin GXM-53 on ebay for $367 bucks.. lol... 2 guys were back and forth on it. Last 4 seconds, I bid and won it.. heh

R

Reactions: Heyspike