Curtain Modification Seafarer 228

jbsman099

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just recently recovered the interior cushions of my 2003 Seafarer 228. Now I'm thinking about making new all around curtains. I have all the old curtains as templates. The slide-in arrangement to mount them is a real pain. I was wondering how it would work to add horizontal zippers about an inch or so from the top of each curtain so that I could slide in a narrow top piece into the channel and then unzip the rest of each curtain for full removal, and still have the option to roll them up when desired. I had an earlier boat some time ago that had a Bimini top and curtains that zippered onto the top. Would be the same principle.

Has anybody done anything like this? Seem reasonable or not?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've had a few boats with the zippers. Sure, your idea would work fine, but it's probably more work than you need to do. Use some beeswax on the slide-in part and you shouldn't have a problem. Silicone spray into the channel and a little on the slide-in part is another way.

D.D.

Reaction score
I use McLube for any applications for track. It's a dry lubricant is works extremely well. Does not leave any oily residue like other lubricants. We use it on sails and it does not stain.

jbsman099

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good point. I'll try lubing the tracks and beads before I mod the curtains. Thanks