Curtains on my Gulfstream

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I put the curtains on my boat a few weeks ago, determined to avoid the struggle I had last year when I waited until it got cold and had to use my HeaterBuddy to warm the canvas/plastic. The plastic was a bit cloudy so the following weekend I bought a bottle of 210 cleaner and a can of 210 polish. I've used 210 on my Gold Wing, my last boat and this boat previously. I started working on the outside of the rear facing plastic and just finished when a storm blew in with lots of wind and rain. No problem - just went inside and did the inside surfaces all the way around. I washed each plastic window, rinsed, dried, applied the cleaner, let dry, then wiped off. Then I used the polish - spraying each plastic window and wiping off. When done, they looked great, even tho' the outside wasn't done on front and sides.

I got on the boat today - it's been raining all week and I had to get out of the house. Each of the plastic windows I cleaned and polished are no longer clear - they have a strange blue tint now. It's really weird to the front and sides where the windshield and side windows are. I had hoped I'd left some residue on the plastic and it would wipe off so wiped with a fresh cloth. No change. I tried using the 210 cleaner again and wiping off. No change. I've searched the internet for any postings about discoloration but found none. Truth be told, I did not find one complaint about 210. I certainly was pleased with it before.

Anyone experience this? Anyone have any idea what happened?

Gary 93 Gulfstream, twin Suzi 4 strokes

reelserious

Reaction score
I have been using 210 since my boat was new in 2000. Nothing but good things to say about the product. That being said, it seems that even though the plastic still looks great after 14 seasons, when the plastic gets soaked it will sometimes "fog" up, almost like the plastic is holding water. My guess is that yours will also clear up once it dries out and the sun gets at it.

Let us know how it turns out.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree. Sounds like moisture... possibly the blue hue you are referring to is just a reflection or the way/angle that you're looking at it. Typically, the sun will take care of it for you. If you can lay them horizontal, it'll go faster. If you can't wait, a hair dryer will do it - just don't get it too close, too hot.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't know what has happened - I posted a message about my curtains last weekend and verified it was there but it's gone now. Anyway, the post said that you guys were right - the blue tint in the plastic windows is gone. When I took the boat out last weekend, they were clear. I've since used the cleaner and polish on the outside of the windows and the result is terrific. This is the first time I've used the cleaner. After washing the plastic window, applying this cleaner would lift an amazing amount of dirt from the plastic judging from my applicator cloth. Really good stuff at a price point I find amazing.

Gary 93 Gulfstream w/ twin 140 Suzi 4 strokes.