Cushion cleaners

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I keep my cushions coated in armoral year round. I typically spray them down every other week, more often if I use it a lot. Thiswill keep most stuff from sticking to the cushions, when it does I clean it with fantastic usually. And then wipe down with a wet rag. If they get really dirty, I may wipe them down with a rag in bleach, and then rinse them off with water and dry them, this usually gets everything off and makes them nice and white. I try and avoid the bleach as it can break the material down if left on for too long or in the sun. If I used the bleach, as soon as it is rinsed and dried I cover it with armoral. I've been doing it this way for years and still have the original cushions on my 1989 22' and they look great. The cushions and bolsters on my 2002 265 look just as good so I still do it this way. I'm sure others use cleaners, but I've stuck to what has worked for me so far.

Banana River View

Reaction score
I just had my 360 detailed and I was starting to get small black mold spots on the cushions. Especially on the combing cushions around the aft fish box. I also had my 19' Keywest detailed at the same time. The KW is over 7 years old and the cushions on it were covered in black spots. The couple who detailed the boats made the KW cushions look like new and were of course able to get the few spots off of the 360. I asked what they used and they said X-14. I have used that in the past around the house but never on the boat. I was shocked that they could get the cushions on the KW to look like new.

They did say to use a good vinyl protectent/conditioner on the cushions after using the X-14 on them. So, if you have some really ratty looking cushions, try X-14. You can buy it at Ace Hardware... BRV

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I'm with Stonewall. Get the Spray Nine! Don't need the more expensive "Marine" version as the regular will work great. I have used it for years on the boat and we use it religiously around the firehouse and in ambulances. It is viracidal and bacteriacidal. It disinfests as it cleans. I have used it on every surface imaginable including aluminum and have never had any corrosive issues with it. It's available at the Big Box retailers as well as Pep Boys. I have never found anything better to clean things with especially vinyl cushions. It used to get great reviews from the now defunct Powerboat Reports.

capeboter

Reaction score
You might want to try formula 303 protectant as an alternative to Armorall. I use spray 9 then the 303. I also use Formula 303 on the Eisenglas.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
cleaner

Krazy Kleen is basically the only cleaner that goes on my boat. It is an awesome all around cleaner from the cushions to blood stains.

jaydub

Reaction score
Ditto on the Formula 303 as a protectant. Much better than armoral; doesn't leave a greasy feeling and lasts longer.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
gregsnow said:
My 2 cents isnt worth much in this economy but his cleaning technique sounds good to me. :wink:

GS

mine is a maxi-vac
http://www.maxi-vac.com
http://www.maxi-vac.com/steam_cleaners_vapor.htm
was not cheap!
around 2K
i use it for getting mold out of showroom boats
oil, hand prints, and foot prints when i get into boats and tired of taking my shoes off

i have been doing some R&D with Jim there
we are going to come up with a 12V lite weight system for boat owners
it is in the works as we speak.
as for price i told them it needs to be under 500

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Cleaner

I just got hold of a product called Duroclean that seems to work well. HAs anyone used it?