Cushion rework on my 265 Express

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I am having some of the material replaced on the cushions for my 2000 265 Express-

The cushion includes an external vinyl material cover that includes zipper access to a preformed foam pad stuffed inside of the vinyl cover.

The preformed foam pad is currently wrapped in plastic -

Some of the plastic is ripped and allowed the foam to get wet -

I am drying everything out now, does the foam have to be rewrapped in plastic? Or is this plastic just something that should of been removed when the boat was new?

Tim

seasick

Reaction score
I have the plastic on mine also. I am not sure if it iis there to seal the foam or to keep the foam from adhering to the back of the vinyl. I can't imagine that is keeps the foam totally dry . If anything, it would trap mositure. I hope somebody knows for sure.

nevsatII

Reaction score
I was told by a local canvas shop that the plastic wrap was used to help ease getting the foam into the vinyl cover. He told me the plastic wrap defeats the purpose of the mesh letting the foam dry out. I had the foam replaced with a type that won't absorb water. I can't remember the name of it. The new foam was noticably firmer which was fine with me.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
From my experience wrapping the foam is a waste of time. No matter how well you do it the foam still gets wet and once in the plastic it never dries out. True, it does help with getting it into the cover.

I believe that the foam that nevsatII is referring to is called closed cell foam vs. open cell that GW appears to use. In the closed cell foam manufacturing process the blowing agent is not allowed to expand to the point where it breaks the wall of the polyurethane as it expands when the PUR is still viscous. It typically has a much higher density as it cannot be expanded as much as is possible in the open cell process. Fundamentally the materials are the same just the little bubbles inside the foam are intact vs. popped. When the structure is allowed to pop water is able to infiltrate the structure through other voids that have also popped. Not very technical but if should convey the concept.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Tashmoo and All,
THanks for the input -
I was planning on using the closed cell foam as a replacement if we decided to replace the foam-
The plastic wrap did not make that much sense to me - but now it does -
Thanks guys
Tim

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Just wondering how much you guys spent to have this done. Im thinking aboout having my recovered.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
My mother is retired and has worked as a professional seamstriss - she is charging me nothing! :D I think she is getting bored -

Tim

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I used two supermarket style plastic bags on the foam on two old cushions I use for deck cushions, trimmed and taped the opening shut and left them loose so they don't pop when sitting down.

Keeps the foam dry.

These are the bottom cushions from the original seats of my former 1988 204C.
Foam stiil good so is vinyl, bag popped inside. Zipper gave up the ghost to salt , now use small nylon wire tys.

Not bad for 20+ yrs.

The bag kept the foam dry, sure it makes getting the foam in and out easier too. But I can get the foam in w/o the bag, just more difficult.

When the foam got wet, it was the weight of a soaked sponge, had to take the foam out and sit it in the sun all day after first wringing out by hand.
Left the cushion out in the rain, that's what did it.

Google SOPAC for closed cell foam, expensive though.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tashmoo said:
From my experience wrapping the foam is a waste of time. No matter how well you do it the foam still gets wet and once in the plastic it never dries out. True, it does help with getting it into the cover.

I believe that the foam that nevsatII is referring to is called closed cell foam vs. open cell that GW appears to use. In the closed cell foam manufacturing process the blowing agent is not allowed to expand to the point where it breaks the wall of the polyurethane as it expands when the PUR is still viscous. It typically has a much higher density as it cannot be expanded as much as is possible in the open cell process. Fundamentally the materials are the same just the little bubbles inside the foam are intact vs. popped. When the structure is allowed to pop water is able to infiltrate the structure through other voids that have also popped. Not very technical but if should convey the concept.

We make EZ-Dry. Poured open cell foam is not really that open. In order for it to not hold water all the windows in the lattice need to be blown out. Some do it chemically others reticulate (blow it up). The plastic bag helps in getting the foam inside. They put a vacuum on the bag to deflate the foam and it goes in much easier. But the bag defeats the purpose of using reticulated foam.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is really excellent info guys.My cushions are ok but I need to replace my cockpit bolsters. Any idea how I can get the Grady vinyl material to make new bolsters.And is the GW indented material available?
Thanks for the help.