Custom Hard Top

Matt3609

Reaction score
I have a 1996 208 Adventure, I was wondering if anyone had made a custom hard top or have the dimensions to make one or could point me in the right direction to buying a used one that would be helpful thanks.

2006 Adventure 208

Reaction score
I had a real nice custom hardtop built for my 208. Has an all wired electronics box overhead, custom full enclosure, rod holders, spreader lights, antennas, " the works ", etc.. This is the best upgrade I have made for my 2006 208 Adventure. Total package less than $ 5 K. in 2010 price. Totally impressed with his work. All work was done in the Grady colors so the match to the boat is perfect. Really made the boat !

Contact Keith Modlin , Modlins Aluminum Welding in Farmville N.C. for prices and pictures. Those guys can do about anything. He does a lot of custom work for Grady White factory in Greenville, N.C. just a few miles away. He will be showing at the Raleigh, N.C. Boat show next month.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't have any leads on used tops - other than checking with marine salvage yards or looking in CL ads for damaged boats.

Atlantic Towers is another source for new tops - they have some inexpensive options. Probably not quite as nice as what was mentioned above, but I have an Atlantic tower and have seen numerous others - can't really say anything bad about them.

Matt3609

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! If i get one made ill post pictures.

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
I don't have any leads on used tops - other than checking with marine salvage yards or looking in CL ads for damaged boats.

Atlantic Towers is another source for new tops - they have some inexpensive options. Probably not quite as nice as what was mentioned above, but I have an Atlantic tower and have seen numerous others - can't really say anything bad about them.

It is just about impossible to find a used hardtop for that hull. There weren't a lot of them to start with. The point about the canvas is important. Good canvas will set you back some sweet bucks in addition to the top. Also note that the hardtop affects performance. If you are running an older 2s 150HP, you will notice a decrease in performance with a hard top. Minimum Grady recommendation for 2s on a 208 (older models) is 175HP.
Atlantic towers makes some interesting products but many of the fittings are universal and have pivot points that are adjusted and tightened to the required angles. My personal feeling is that is not as rigid as a true custom welded top but I can't speak on personal experience.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
seasick said:
DennisG01 said:
Atlantic towers makes some interesting products but many of the fittings are universal and have pivot points that are adjusted and tightened to the required angles. My personal feeling is that is not as rigid as a true custom welded top but I can't speak on personal experience.

I agree with that in theory. It makes sense. But in reality from shaking it, hanging on it, etc, I can't tell. It doesn't move. I'm a relatively detail-oriented person and if there is any 'looseness' in it, I can not tell. The one on my boat is even an extended top (about an extra 3' aft) and has a 'lightweight' top - not solid fiberglass. The top is less than 1/16" thick and you can't mount anything directly to it. There's plenty of aluminum bracing, though.

Clockwork

Reaction score
i had an overnighter 204 with a 150 yamaha and a hardtop. wouldnt want one any other way. my dad on the other hand is a custom marine fabricator and made the framework for another guy with an overnighter that had a custom fiberglass cap made for it. turned out nice. we're in the seattle area. the overnighter is very similar to the adventure but the dims wouldnt be exactly the same. the minor performance decrease, if noticeable at all, will be offset by the many advantages of the hardtop.