Custom rocket launchers for the hardtop?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Or not custom ideally. What I'm looking for is a 5 rod holder with the center one's bottom flush with the bottom of the hardtop but the two on either side dropped down so they are easier to load/unload. Middle one high so you don't bang your head, others low so they are easy.

I can't be the first guy to want this, anyone ever seen something like this? The only reason I can imagine that it isn't made is if the side ones block your vision when in the seats turned around, maybe that's a problem.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am 6’1, and I have plenty of head clearance, and I can reach the rods.
My biggest fear about the rocket launcher is that someone who is not familiar with the boat will step up to the walk around, and drive that outside rod holder into the top of their skull. I have tennis balls on the bottom of mine, which will still hurt, but maybe not ruin the day.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I am 6’1, and I have plenty of head clearance, and I can reach the rods.
My biggest fear about the rocket launcher is that someone who is not familiar with the boat will step up to the walk around, and drive that outside rod holder into the top of their skull. I have tennis balls on the bottom of mine, which will still hurt, but maybe not ruin the day.
Which holder do you have?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I went and looked and I need custom, I want the 4 side holders to have their tops flush with the top of the hardtop and the middle one raised. And the spacing is weird, I have to dodge spreader lights and a radio I had put in under the hard top.

If you know of a custom guy, hook me up please. I'm off to google, which I know I could have done first, but I trust you guys more than google.

MLangley

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I found this guy on another thread here. He does some beautiful work and it is custom. Photo is from a Freedom 307 and ours is being delivered this week. Good luck.

Glen Weeks
GW Performance Welding
450 7th Street
Unit 1
Somers Point, NJ 08244
609-569-9911

Attachments

• Rocket.png
    Rocket.png
    1 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: GWPW and Uncle Joe

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd get someone close to your location if possible. This way you have tight communication and can eliminate/mitigate the shipping.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't see why you would limit yourself to 5 rod holders. If you look at my crappy OEM rocket launcher above, it would have 5 vertical, if they hadn't angled the outside ones, like they didn't know what they wanted to do. You could easily fit one between each of the 5, giving 9 total.
If you're going to angle the outside ones, put them down to 15* above horizontal, and troll from them.
I also want the ones on the rocket launcher almost vertical, not more than 15*. I do a lot of casting from the cockpit, and I don't want those rods angled back.
This is the arch I had made for my Tournament.

Attachments

• F7E98A98-A2A0-450D-ACC3-08B6EFC9191F.jpeg
    F7E98A98-A2A0-450D-ACC3-08B6EFC9191F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I need to have mine lowered as I can't reach any of them to use it. I have a guy down at the coast that will do it. I just need to take to him off season so he can custom make it. The 252G Sportbridge is very tall, so makes the rocket launchers extremely difficult to use. I have seen other Grady's with the stepdown bracket which will lower them to any height you want and it also puts them back a few inches so less likely to hit your head when going up or down the steps.

Fishtales

Reaction score
One thing to consider is ensuring sufficient space for the larger rods and reels that you have. If you have 50s, 80s or larger, you can have problems if too close.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Off-topic, but kinda not...

As some of you may know, I don't fish, so really don't know the answer.

Why do you guys take 200 rods with you to fish? it looks like you've cleaned out Bass Pro Shops or something. I can see a backup rig or two in case of failure, but many of you have way more rods than you can possibly use.

For those who know me, you know I'm not Jonesing on your fishing; I'm 60% joking and 40% curious.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When we plan to go offshore for a 50 mile run, usually with 2 people..we expect to fish offshore style. Usually 8 or 9 lines dragging lures. Now, if we catch or run into a school of Mahi and they come to the boat, we have to use our spinning rods to pitch out some squid pieces on a hook with no weight...basically a pitch bait. So that is 2 more rods. If we are trolling for Wahoo, we have to break out the heavy duty rods with bent butts. That is 3 more rods. Then later, we decide to bottom fish. Different gear so that is 2 more rods. Then we have to have another rod with a decending device. Another rod.
But wait!
What if it is too rough offshore? We decide to fish in nearshore or inshore. We have lighter weight spinning outfits. 2 more rods, or we go for bait....2 more sibiki rods.

I forget the others we might use.....so in total, I carry at least 20 rods to get the job done. :cool:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ROBERTH:

Ah-Ha! So different rods for different fish; different bait presentation for fish close in; I actually see it now.

I know it's hard to believe I've never asked before but I really haven't. I just see all these rods everywhere and wonder...

I was kind of putting this our in a joking, carefree kind of way, but your explanation is interesting as to why you deploy different rods for different encounters.

I have gone out grouper fishing with a great friend several times and he would use a rod per person, but had several handy for backup. I was referring to the boats loaded for bear.

Thanks ROBERTH!

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Off-topic, but kinda not...

As some of you may know, I don't fish, so really don't know the answer.

Why do you guys take 200 rods with you to fish? it looks like you've cleaned out Bass Pro Shops or something. I can see a backup rig or two in case of failure, but many of you have way more rods than you can possibly use.

For those who know me, you know I'm not Jonesing on your fishing; I'm 60% joking and 40% curious.
If I am trolling for yellowfin tuna I may have 5 rods out in the spread at once...bigger boats will have 7 rods out at any one time....I need at least one spinning/jigging rod for each guy (usually 3) on the boat in case we get topwater action. Guys will use smaller rods on a trip to catch baitfish, mackerel or squid or whatever. So there is at least 10....you get the idea. Plus...it is my thing...I don't drink or party....I build fishing rods and I fish.

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
When we plan to go offshore for a 50 mile run, usually with 2 people..we expect to fish offshore style. Usually 8 or 9 lines dragging lures. Now, if we catch or run into a school of Mahi and they come to the boat, we have to use our spinning rods to pitch out some squid pieces on a hook with no weight...basically a pitch bait. So that is 2 more rods. If we are trolling for Wahoo, we have to break out the heavy duty rods with bent butts. That is 3 more rods. Then later, we decide to bottom fish. Different gear so that is 2 more rods. Then we have to have another rod with a decending device. Another rod.
But wait!
What if it is too rough offshore? We decide to fish in nearshore or inshore. We have lighter weight spinning outfits. 2 more rods, or we go for bait....2 more sibiki rods.

I forget the others we might use.....so in total, I carry at least 20 rods to get the job done. :cool:
You forgot your jigging rods/popping rods. But you covered it pretty well. Always have options and be willing to change tactics and or species if origional plan dont pan out.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was afraid to confess I am looking for a serious jigging rod/reel combo and even also an electric rod/reel combo for deep dropping....Then there are more rods if I take 3 or 4 folks with me. Is there an end?
The biggest challenge to date is where to store all of them. So far, I have a pretty good process, but more will be an issue when it happens. :rolleyes:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The storage thing ROBERTH speaks of makes me smile.

My 2018 Marlin, (which I ordered new) has four rodholders in the hardtop assembly. Two on each side, none over the top section. There is bolted-on storage for two in the V-Berth on the port side and there were holders for two attached to the roof in my mid-berth. I had those removed at the Factory since I was afraid I'd bump my head on them every time I exited.

Then, I guess you count the thingys in the gunwales that will hold a rod.That would be 2 per side, so I have a total of storage for 10 rods.

That seemed like a lot to me until I butted into LuckyDude's thread here.. Now, if an avid angler buys my Marlin, he doesn't get my cell phone number as part of the deal.....