Custom rocket launchers for the hardtop?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm hope I'm not derailing too badly. I have these lowered rod holders that I've bee trying to get rid of for some time. They're design to fit a 282, from rod holder to rod holder. I'd take $100 for them. Cost would be in shipping.

Rob

sLapq8m.jpg

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Thanks, but I found the design on here from a post in 2019. $680 including shipping.
I looked at it and said to myself "I hope it is under a grand". I get it, everything related to boating is spendy, but that seems like it is some money but is not crazy spendy. Good on you for sharing, I'll go with them.

Reactions: GWPW

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Magic, right back at you. When you first said you were my internet friend I told my wife and kids about it. I have a ton of people that I know from the internet, you are the first to say I'm your friend. I treasure that.

My journey of learning continues, these days it is more about fishing. I'm no expert but when I dock, I angle in, last second before it hits, swing the engine towards the dock and reverse, pulls the boat into a kiss to the dock.

If you ever have a hankering to see California, I've got lodging and boating all lined up for you. It's been so cool to have you watch over me as I learn.
Awww..thanks Lucky: Appreciate that! I may get out there one day when the World flips right-side up again. In the meantime keep enjoying the boat!

Reactions: luckydude

GWPW

GreatGrady Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.gwperformancewelding.com
I looked at it and said to myself "I hope it is under a grand". I get it, everything related to boating is spendy, but that seems like it is some money but is not crazy spendy. Good on you for sharing, I'll go with them.
Luckydude,

This is exactly what we do all the time so give us a call and we can help you out with this. We ship them all over the county so wherever you are located doesn't mater for something like this. We may even have all the measurements we need already for your boat, but if not its just a couple easy measurements we need.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Luckydude,

This is exactly what we do all the time so give us a call and we can help you out with this. We ship them all over the county so wherever you are located doesn't mater for something like this. We may even have all the measurements we need already for your boat, but if not its just a couple easy measurements we need.
I need to go take some pictures and some measurements. I want to avoid blocking the spreader lights and my radio. If you look here:

I don't know if it works to put one right at the very outside above the one on the vertical post. I'll get some measurements and think about it and call you, no need for any encouragement, I've seen your work and it is what I want. Made in the USA too, what's not to like?

Reactions: GWPW

GWPW

GreatGrady Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
I need to go take some pictures and some measurements. I want to avoid blocking the spreader lights and my radio. If you look here:

I don't know if it works to put one right at the very outside above the one on the vertical post. I'll get some measurements and think about it and call you, no need for any encouragement, I've seen your work and it is what I want. Made in the USA too, what's not to like?
Luckydude,

When measuring up what you want to try to avoid, measure from center out and we can work out what layout will work best and avoid the least. Looks like the radio is back a bit so that's probably not as much of a concern as the lights are.

Look forward to working with you.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
It does have to ship 2977 miles cross county, so that will take a few days...LOL
In the mean time, Albacore are showing up in our waters, bluefin as well. 50-60 miles out but they'll get closer. Does anyone know of a clamp on rocket launcher that I could use until Glen's stuff shows up? It's possible I'll go this week, likely next week. I just need a single
one for the middle of the hardtop.

I googled and didn't find anything but it's possible I used the wrong terms.

clamp on single rocket launcher hard top

didn't get me anything.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lucky, I would have Glen make me some 1/4 aluminum backing plates to spread the load, washers are not big enough on that cored top. Pre-drilled to match the top pads. I assume MLangley is replacing an original, and using the existing holes, since his is not drilled.

(edit) I edited out some incorrect assumptions from this post. I thought you were replacing an existing launcher, but I see from the pic that you linked, that you are starting from scratch with GW.

I don't run outriggers, but I think that they are run at a pretty low angle, with the center one being the highest. You could run a clamp on like this from the center of the hardtop cross member, or off center to avoid so many head bumps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Joe

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky, I would have Glen make me some 1/4 aluminum backing plates to spread the load, washers are not big enough on that cored top. Pre-drilled to match the top pads. I assume MLangley is replacing an original, and using the existing holes, since his is not drilled.

(edit) I edited out some incorrect assumptions from this post. I thought you were replacing an existing launcher, but I see from the pic that you linked, that you are starting from scratch with GW.

I don't run outriggers, but I think that they are run at a pretty low angle, with the center one being the highest. You could run a clamp on like this from the center of the hardtop cross member, or off center to avoid so many head bumps.

My top is metal, I'm assuming aluminum but perhaps steel? Whatever it is, it is more than strong enough for me to stand on.
I was thinking fender washers would be enough, Glen wants me to do 3 1/4 inch bolts per tab, seems a little excessive but he
is the guy with experience so I'm doing what he wants.

Given that it is a metal top, do you still think I need backing plates?

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My top is metal, I'm assuming aluminum but perhaps steel? Whatever it is, it is more than strong enough for me to stand on.
I was thinking fender washers would be enough, Glen wants me to do 3 1/4 inch bolts per tab, seems a little excessive but he
is the guy with experience so I'm doing what he wants.

Given that it is a metal top, do you still think I need backing plates?
My top is fiberglass and I used plywood backing plates...and 3- 1/4 inch bolts per tab. If the cost is not excessive it can only help.....right?

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore

glacierbaze.......mine was not pre-drilled either. I don't think any of them come that way from GW.

Reactions: MLangley

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can see why they would not be, if replacing an existing, and needing the holes to line up by marking from underneath. I don't see a downside to pre-drilled, if new installation, but I'm open to reasons why not. The plates are already welded in place, so it's not like you are trying to avoid something in the top.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lucky, thanks for that update. Ask her for all of us, how far does the coring extend, or how far does it stop from the edges. What kind of core did they use? If your bolts go through the core, you need extra precautions, to avoid water intrusion.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky, thanks for that update. Ask her for all of us, how far does the coring extend, or how far does it stop from the edges. What kind of core did they use? If your bolts go through the core, you need extra precautions, to avoid water intrusion.
Glen told me to goop the holes with 3M 5200 and I intend to. I sent Gwen another email about the core, she pointed me at customer service.
I'll report back when I have an answer.

GWPW

GreatGrady Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
I can see why they would not be, if replacing an existing, and needing the holes to line up by marking from underneath. I don't see a downside to pre-drilled, if new installation, but I'm open to reasons why not. The plates are already welded in place, so it's not like you are trying to avoid something in the top.
Main reason we don't pre-drill the pads, we can when customer requests it, is that when we make these for many different boats some tops have pipes or other stuff on the underside that needs to be avoided. Grady's are normally pretty open on the underside except for spreader lights or in the case of luckydude he has a VHF radio mounted under the back edge of hardtop.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Glen made mine as my boat didn't have one when I bought her.
I didn't ask to be pre-drilled, very easy to drill, it's aluminum . I placed it on the top and located exactly where I want it then I marked on the F/G top where the tabs are. I removed it from there took it to the bench drill press and drilled all the holes. I placed it back on the top and marked the holes on the F/G top . I drilled 2 holes one on each or the outside tabs. I put two screws through and did them up then drilled all the holes. Next removed the two locating bolts, I used marine grade Sikaflex in the holes and a little on the top under the tabs. I installed all the bolts in the holes used some more Sika underneath, I put big S/S washers did the nuts tight and then used another acorn nut on each screw and tighten them on the other nuts so they are locked. I used some lock thread as well ( loctite brand).
The core is some kind of plywood, if you use large (1" plus) washers it won't squash down.
I'm still waiting for Glen to send me the inserts that go in the holders, other than that no complaints with the job. I think I will be waiting for ever for them.

Last edited: