Custom rocket launchers for the hardtop?

GWPW

GreatGrady Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.gwperformancewelding.com
Glen made mine as my boat didn't have one when I bought her.
I didn't ask to be pre-drilled, very easy to drill, it's aluminum . I placed it on the top and located exactly where I want it then I marked on the F/G top where the tabs are. I removed it from there took it to the bench drill press and drilled all the holes. I placed it back on the top and marked the holes on the F/G top . I drilled 2 holes one on each or the outside tabs. I put two screws through and did them up then drilled all the holes. Next removed the two locating bolts, I used marine grade Sikaflex in the holes and a little on the top under the tabs. I installed all the bolts in the holes used some more Sika underneath, I put big S/S washers did the nuts tight and then used another acorn nut on each screw and tighten them on the other nuts so they are locked. I used some lock thread as well ( loctite brand).
The core is some king of plywood, if you use large (1" plus) washers it won't squash down.
I'm still waiting for Glen to send me the inserts that go in the holders, other than that no complaints with the job. I think I will be waiting for ever for them.
What inserts??? Send me PM and we can get caught up and this straightened out.

wires38

Reaction score
Clamp ons, on the hardtop risers. Not the look of rocket launchers, but much better location and function. 20 years, no issue.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
What inserts??? Send me PM and we can get caught up and this straightened out.
Obviously you don't remember. You made a rocket launcher for my newly purchased 228g . You packed it nicely and shipped it to Jacksonville where my boat was waiting to be shipped to Australia. The package arrived on time it was put in the boat, when the boat arrived Sydney the inserts that go in the holders weren't there and I notified you at the time ( April 2019).
I have sent you via PM copies of our emails.
Unfortunately these are not available in Australia and I noticed yours are different size to the ones Grady White uses .
At the time I suggested we go halves on shipping due to the fact that shipping to Australia would be more expensive than sending them to Jacksonville. I thought that was very reasonable as it was your mistake, not mine, but I'm a reasonable guy and think of others that are trying to make a living.

GWPW

GreatGrady Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
Obviously you don't remember. You made a rocket launcher for my newly purchased 228g . You packed it nicely and shipped it to Jacksonville where my boat was waiting to be shipped to Australia. The package arrived on time it was put in the boat, when the boat arrived Sydney the inserts that go in the holders weren't there and I notified you at the time ( April 2019).
I have sent you via PM copies of our emails.
Unfortunately these are not available in Australia and I noticed yours are different size to the ones Grady White uses .
At the time I suggested we go halves on shipping due to the fact that shipping to Australia would be more expensive than sending them to Jacksonville. I thought that was very reasonable as it was your mistake, not mine, but I'm a reasonable guy and think of others that are trying to make a living.
wrxhoon,

I remembered you later after I realized where you were from. Just sent you a PM to discuss some options we can try to work out to get these to you.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky, thanks for that update. Ask her for all of us, how far does the coring extend, or how far does it stop from the edges. What kind of core did they use? If your bolts go through the core, you need extra precautions, to avoid water intrusion.
OK, Grady's customer service says this about the core:

Shared your question and they shared that there is actually no "core" in this top, instead it consists of multiple layers of 2 oz. glass and special RTM resin, these tops are solid all the way through.

As a reminder, that's for my 2020, so it is possible there is a core in older ones.

Given that there is no core, is there any need for the goop? Just do it because?

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Shared your question and they shared that there is actually no "core" in this top, instead it consists of multiple layers of 2 oz. glass and special RTM resin, these tops are solid all the way through.

As a reminder, that's for my 2020, so it is possible there is a core in older ones.

Given that there is no core, is there any need for the goop? Just do it because?
I would do it...why not? All you need is a ring of silicone/goop around each hole....or even one ring that encircles all three holes and you are good to go.

GWPW

GreatGrady Sponsor
Reaction score
Website

So I would still recommended it, one of the big things that it does is creates a cushion between the gelcoat and the aluminum so that the aluminum won't wear into the gelcoat.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I would do it...why not? All you need is a ring of silicone/goop around each hole....or even one ring that encircles all three holes and you are good to go.
Yes agree. I’d suggest 3M 4000UV because it allows a little flex and uv protection.
Can countersink the drill holes. Also pre drill with smaller drill bits. Use a drill bit guide if you can to get the drill holes perfectly vertical. Use painters tape to contain the gooey mess. Use throw away gloves. Allow the goo 24 hours to cure before really cinching the bolts down and it’ll seal well without squeezing it all out wet. Trim excess at the edge with a utility knife once dry. If you have any dissimilar metals (alum/stainless) use tefgel to prevent galvanic corrosion

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Yes I would as well for the reason Glen stated . My 2013 has some plywood core maybe they did away with it in later models.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Well I'm doing 5200 because that's what I have coming. I have the rod holder, wow, it's awesome and the back forth I did with Glen worked.
I was afraid I was going to have to move the spreader lights but we talked it through and I think it all works, spreaders, the radio under the hard top, the lifted middle one and the rest lowered, it all works. Looks great too!

Pics coming once I get it installed.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Well I'm doing 5200 because that's what I have coming. I have the rod holder, wow, it's awesome and the back forth I did with Glen worked.
I was afraid I was going to have to move the spreader lights but we talked it through and I think it all works, spreaders, the radio under the hard top, the lifted middle one and the rest lowered, it all works. Looks great too!

Pics coming once I get it installed.
Pics are at http://mcvoy.com/lm/boat

I *love* the job that Glen did, it's perfect. If you need something like this, talk to Glen, he's GWPW on here, he is a site sponsor, all around good dude. I could not be happier with the job he did.