Cut, buff, wax.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking great KY, what cutting product do you use? Would you share your process? Thanks

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Looks good. I need to do the same. What products were used?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll have to get names of products. Someone else is doing this for me down in South Carolina.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Very nice. I've spent 3 days on mine w/ aggressive compound and it's not that shiny!. Are they wet sanding or using compound and a buffer?

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I need to do the same. did they charge by the foot and how much is it running if you don't mine me asking

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not sure how he priced it as far as footage. I've been given an estimate of $2K for the whole boat, inside and out. I had buffed "at" the hull but had done nothing on gunnels or the inside and the cabin. He's pretty much starting from scratch to give me some kind of shine to work with.

Reactions: NiceBass 272

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Joining the others in sending kudo's; boat's rockin'...

Couldn't tell from previous shots that your Seafarer needed a sand/compound job. Certainly looks good here....

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Kind of from my car show days, she was a 10 footer.

She just lacked the shine I wanted. Life in Florida before I bought her and lack of maintenance while there, had taken a toll on her.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Wet sanding, that's about the only thing I haven't tried. Any idea what grit paper they use? I've bought so many products and different pads for the buffer but I just can't make it look pretty.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
600, 800, 1000, then light compound and wax for shine. This is the process I was told he was doing.

Reactions: Pighunter

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Wet sanding, that's about the only thing I haven't tried. Any idea what grit paper they use? I've bought so many products and different pads for the buffer but I just can't make it look pretty.

I would start at 800 and work your way up. If you haven't done anything like this in the past take a look at some of the Shurhold videos. They have a pretty basic explanation and their buff magic is a pretty good product but a little pricey. You can use a DA like they used in the videos on the exterior, but I wouldn't recommend it for the interior until you have a good handle on the process. An outside radius should be done by hand or you will burn through the gelcoat quickly.

You can make it look like it just came out of the mold.

Reactions: Pighunter

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks great. Hopefully it will hold the look for a good while.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have almost finished my 228. The hull I compounded using 7” and 3” dual action polishers. I used Gyeon Q2R Marine Polish Step 1 followed by Gyeon Q2R Marine Polish Step 2. If I did it again I would just use Step 1 the improvement with Step 2 was minimal with a light coloured hull. I wet sanded the gunnels, cabin etc. that were more badly oxidised. Oxidation will polish but not as well “fresh” gelcoat And you will get back the original Grady colour with wet sanding. I started with 800, then 1200, then 2000. Make sure you remove all sanding scratches left by the 800 grit with the 1200 or you will end up with a nice glossy gel coat but in the right light you see all these fine scratches. 2000 grit probably not needed as a heavy cut compound should remove scratches from 1200 grit. The gelcoat looks like new.
Hull stripes to go on then a ceramic coat.

Timcan

Reaction score
Congrats Ky that looks great. If you are going to do it yourself it takes a lot time. I just finished mine in and out and in some areas it required wet sanding with 600.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ky Grady, Here you go again.......I still haven't got over seeing pictures of the inside of your shop area. I think I'm gonna need counciling to got rid of my guilt feelings every time I go out in my garage. Now I'm getting worried about seeing pictures of your fully detailed boat dancing in my head.:D

Reactions: Ky Grady