Cut, buff, wax.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You've got a pretty sweet setup yourself. I'd love to have that to park my boat at the house. Pretty excited to see the final outcome when he's done.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The photos from the Sally rebuild Show I started with 1000 grit and moved to a 12 and 1500 depending on the area and severity. 3M finish It compound and polish. Doing pretty nice job but the labor part is killing me.

Reactions: Timcan

seasick

Reaction score
Have almost finished my 228. The hull I compounded using 7” and 3” dual action polishers. I used Gyeon Q2R Marine Polish Step 1 followed by Gyeon Q2R Marine Polish Step 2. If I did it again I would just use Step 1 the improvement with Step 2 was minimal with a light coloured hull. I wet sanded the gunnels, cabin etc. that were more badly oxidised. Oxidation will polish but not as well “fresh” gelcoat And you will get back the original Grady colour with wet sanding. I started with 800, then 1200, then 2000. Make sure you remove all sanding scratches left by the 800 grit with the 1200 or you will end up with a nice glossy gel coat but in the right light you see all these fine scratches. 2000 grit probably not needed as a heavy cut compound should remove scratches from 1200 grit. The gelcoat looks like new.
Hull stripes to go on then a ceramic coat.
If you had used a rotary buffer, not a RA and a good rubbing compound like Total Buff , 1,000 grit would not only have worked but would probably not be needed. a light 600, maybe 800 and then buffing.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 7" Dewalt polisher that works good for the large exterior sections but for the interior liner I would be curious to know what is a good choice for small areas. The big 7" is not good for those tight areas and my hands start cramping after awhile. What's your favorite?

seasick

Reaction score
Agree. The 7 inch is best for larger flat areas. I suppose one could use a variable speed drill with a pad attachment but you need to watch the speed. Sometimes the only approach is the by hand method and in that case, finer grits of wet/dry paper will be needed to remove fine scratches, followed by a polish and wax.
I just searched and found a few options that might work.
Here is one example

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 7" Dewalt polisher that works good for the large exterior sections but for the interior liner I would be curious to know what is a good choice for small areas. The big 7" is not good for those tight areas and my hands start cramping after awhile. What's your favorite?

I had the same concerns. Was going to try one of those longer rectangular hand pads from Chemical Guys. Are you using the circular ones?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This guy gives very detailed instructions, product info, equipment info. Enough to make me realize that this is something that I don't want to do myself. What is deceptive, becasue the video is sped up, is how fast, or slow, that he moves the buffers. At some point, either in this vid or another, he shows how fast to move in real time, and it is surprisingly slow, after watching the sped up version.
Also shows a 2 inch machine for tight spaces.

edit:3/24 I guess I left out the link. This guy.

Last edited:

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow, what an incredible result. I'm having mine compounded and polished in 3 weeks... I'll be ecstatic if it comes out 1/2 as good as yours!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Actually cost me $1K,,,, had some scheduling issues as well as another thing or two come up. Didn't collect the second $1K.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
WOW KY!!! Did not know you could get that kind of shine on fibreglass. Even bran- spanking new boats do not look that good. Now I am embarrassed to drag mine out of its kennel into the light.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Confused. Was the regular price $2k, and he gave you a discount for something else? I would pull my boat to SC for that job for $1K.

Long story that is really not finished yet Glacier.

Preliminary pictures don't show the real picture. Making a run down this weekend to look at it. I have it at my fiberglass guy that is going to fix the issues that the buff and wax guy created. Not good from what I've been told. I paid $1K upfront, with second $1K upon completion. It's completed but he won't be receiving the final $1000. It'll probably cost that much to fix his screw ups. Premature happiness on my boat being done was just that, premature. :mad:

I have been told by my fiberglass guy that once all the issues are fixed, I will have a very nice and shiny boat that will look great. So there's that. o_O

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Ky, What did the detail individual actually do damage wise ? Burn the gelcoat ?

Reactions: Ky Grady

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
KY, Sorry to hear something went that wrong. I had jumped on the thread at work to again admire how good she was looking and be inspired as another owner of a somewhat aged Seafarer and how good they can look given enough proper care (and cash). To hear it went south really bothered me and I was thinking about it on the ride home. Like Byram asked, burned gelcoat?

Reactions: Ky Grady