cutting a dorr

devildogdad

Reaction score
I have a Marlin 300 and if I am not at the helm I like to stand in the co pilots spot infront of the hatch to downstairs. I want to put the SeaDeck helm pad there but it is too thick. the bottom of the door is too low. It looks like a solid plastic door on the bottom and I would like to take it off and cut about 3/8 s of an inch off the bottom using a table saw. Does anyone see a problem with this that I am not seeing?

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would check the height of the lip behind the door to see if you will still have some protection from water going in the cabin. My Marlin only has about an inch behind that companion way door. You might be cutting it enough for the water to run down the stairs. I would also check with Grady White to see if the door is solid. I agree is sure seems to be but would ask first.

dale1

Reaction score
If you have to cut plastic, the best "hand tool" I've found is a "duel saw" Homedepot or other home store. dale

exudedude

Reaction score
I would do it on a table saw with a very fine carbide blade. Cut it a 1/16th long so you can fine sand the edges.