Cutting swim platform resealing the core

hangman1176

Reaction score
I have a full swim platform on my 22-8. I am going to be adding a kicker however the the swim platform needs to be cut to make space for the transom bracket. I'm looking at cutting it in line with edge of the bracket which will continue support along with leaving the support brace on the starboard side. I will be moving the swim laddder over to that side. Looking for advise on which materials are needed to reseal the newly cut edge (it appears to be wood core).

I'll be adding a yamaha T-8

Thanks--

gw204

Reaction score
I would just remove the whole thing, sell it and get a single aftermarket platform that's made out of Starboard or the like.

richie rich

Reaction score
hangman1176 said:
I have a full swim platform on my 22-8. I am going to be adding a kicker however the the swim platform needs to be cut to make space for the transom bracket. I'm looking at cutting it in line with edge of the bracket which will continue support along with leaving the support brace on the starboard side. I will be moving the swim laddder over to that side. Looking for advise on which materials are needed to reseal the newly cut edge (it appears to be wood core).

I'll be adding a yamaha T-8

Thanks--

always seal any core with epoxy...then install hardware with the appropriate sealant

gw204

Reaction score
If you do decide to cut it, I would bevel back the figerglass around the cut areas, lay some new glass over the cut and gelcoat. That will best protect the core from water intrusion.

gradyVT

Reaction score
I am doing the same this winter, I will be putting a T 9.9 on my Gulfstream. My shop
recommended I go to this fiberglass guy to have the swim platform reinforced then set the kicker right on the platform. Estimated cost $700. Not sure if this would be an option for you but would also appreciate any info and opinions if this would work.

Thanks
Brian

hangman1176

Reaction score
Brian- I have a single where I think you might have twins. It seems that most of the guys with twins do infact attach the kicker to the swim platform after some type of reinforcement. Most guys on the great lakes prefer the transom mount because of the short chop waves we experience. This tends to rattle the teeth along with the kicker. It also gets the fish closer to the back of the boat should I need to net over the kicker IMO. I guess also most guys with twins just alternate hours between the two engines here in michigan and seeing a kicker is quite rare. This is going to be a winter project so I', gathering some "intel" before proceeding.

Good luck!!

gradyVT

Reaction score
Hangman
I have a single on a bracket, is this the same
setup you have? I plan on using an ez steer
to connect to main engine and was told if I
mounted kicker on Transom they would not
be close enough for this.
Hopefully some others may chime in with their
Opinions as I would like to get best setup that
is also cost effective.
Brian

hangman1176

Reaction score
Brian, with what material and where do they want to do the reinforcement. I'm now looking at the swim step mount that is made through "adventure" products. The model 10000. The transom mount idea is fading after looking at the few available locations to bolt it along with having to cut/remove the entire swim platform.

The down side is the amount of reviews from people that mounted to the swim platform and had problems develop.