Cuttyhunk

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yesterday, (Sunday) Buzz Bay was like glass in AM. Decided time right to take our new (in May) 208 from 'poisett to Cuttyhunk - wife has never been.

Was very surprised (and disappointed) how popular and crowded it has become. Have been a few times during week in last few years and was appalled then how different it was from even 10 years ago.

Yesterday, the harbor was intensely crowded with all sorts and sizes but the Pond was simply insane, especially with swimmers, paddle boarders, kayacs, dogs (labradooddles), etc. It was like playing pac-man. We didnt even consider disembarking.

HUGE difference from my first visit circa '65

Last edited:

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
We had planned to run over to the Vineyard from Osterville Sunday morning for breakfast due to lack of wind but when we woke up the fog was a little too much for us so we decided against it. My wind app showed the wind picking up at about noon so we went to the beach instead. Needless to say I sat miserably on the beach looking at a flat sea, wishing I was on the boat. Oh well can't win them all. I wish these wind apps were more accurate.
Haven't been to Cuttyhunk yet but its on my bucket list. I guess I will try for a weekday after your report.

Reactions: w&w

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
We had planned to run over to the Vineyard from Osterville Sunday morning for breakfast due to lack of wind but when we woke up the fog was a little too much for us so we decided against it. My wind app showed the wind picking up at about noon so we went to the beach instead. Needless to say I sat miserably on the beach looking at a flat sea, wishing I was on the boat. Oh well can't win them all. I wish these wind apps were more accurate.
Haven't been to Cuttyhunk yet but its on my bucket list. I guess I will try for a weekday after your report.

My wind app is Windy and "generally" accurate. Yesterday it was good. We left on the high tide with 1.4 kt winds and came back when forecast (as you noted) said noon would pick up. SLIGHT rippling starting on tops of swells. We had 2.5 hours of nearly glass with only swells to contend with.

Windy was absolutely wrong on Saturday. Said wind on western shore of Buzz Bay was like 4.5 but when we got to the marina, white caps just starting to break.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I always find that the wind is considerably higher than what the app/forecast shows in that area (Popponessett to the Vineyard), particularly in the afternoon. Usually it doesn't bother me since I ride the increased SW wind back from the Vineyard.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Headed to Cuttyhunk this weekend again. Definitely not a secret!

I also use Windy, and have found it to be pretty solid this year. There are a few others I use, such as Fish Weather, but only have the free version, so it is somewhat limited.

Reactions: w&w

Jitrag

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey, I was on Cuttyhunk on August 24th. I probably saw your boat as I always keep an eye out for GW's. We were on a 98 Sailfish and yes we had the floats out and the inflatable kayaks. We like to go to the entrance and sit in the surf on the right as you head out. You are spot on that it has become more known but we tend to judge it by the number of available mooring balls. We were able to find one right away and there were plenty open ones also.

Mammasan

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My dad took my kids mid week and it was quiet in August. They had a blast! I'm hoping to go next year now that I'll have a good overnight boat.

Reactions: Zebulon

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Was just over there Sunday and Monday nights. Had a great time doing very little. Met another 330 owner, as well as the owner of a really nicely set up 20' Grady with a great canvas set up over the cockpit, which provided a lot of room for them.