Damage found under paint

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Scraping came to abrupt halt , I discovered an area of poorly repaired damage on the bottom of the chine. They covered it with body filler and painted over it with a patch of primer then bottom paint.

Anyone want to give me some tips on how I should repair this without cutting or grinding a huge hole.
I did find this on the whaller site but dont think the grady construction is the same:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... epair.html

Damage1.jpg

Damage2.jpg

Damage3.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
If they used something like MarineTex, an epoxy filler, and they prepped the spot correctly and the patch is tight and structurally sound, it is probably OK. You can sand the area and either prime or apply a barrier coat. I prefer the barrier coat since it is a water proof seal. Follow the directions carefully. If the hull is in good shape, you don't need to barrier coat all of it unless you plan on sanding off all the existing paint and that isn't necessary if the paint is adhering well and there are no signs of blisters.
Follow up with a good, compatible bottom paint and enjoy.

MarineTex is very hard and generally white. The patch could aslo be expoxt mixed with binders like Cabosil. That is perfectly OK . I would barrier paint that filler also. I hope that they didn't used body filler.