damaged skeg repair

Wally World

Reaction score
My Starboard side skeg was damaged and a piece broke off. Not much but enough to look at and make me cringe. I was told that the service department can grind it down and round it off to make it look good and match the other one so they look good. Anyone have any input on this? Did anyone have this or any other repair done besides replacing the entire lower unit?

Thank you

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Years ago I knocked a skeg off completely, nearly flush with the gear housing on a 135 Johnson. I had an aluminum welding shop that repaired props (back then 1977 most props were AL, at least the ones I could afford were) put on a new skeg. Looked and worked like new. I'd opt for repair versus grinding down. There is a reason the manufacturers put it there. I'm sure it has a stabilization effect. Look for a recommendation in your area.

seasick

Reaction score
wspitler said:
Years ago I knocked a skeg off completely, nearly flush with the gear housing on a 135 Johnson. I had an aluminum welding shop that repaired props (back then 1977 most props were AL, at least the ones I could afford were) put on a new skeg. Looked and worked like new. I'd opt for repair versus grinding down. There is a reason the manufacturers put it there. I'm sure it has a stabilization effect. Look for a recommendation in your area.
Yes, broken skegs can be repaired. Make sure the shop knows what they are doing.
If the missing piece is small, it won't affect performance very much if at all. The skeg is there to somewhat protect the prop. The missing piece and grinding will affect resale value for sure.
I definitely would not grind the other motor to match.

Wally World

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. I will be opting for a weld and repair. Spoke to another Yamaha mechanic and that was his recommendation as well.