Dash and gauge replacement

gradyrod

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Fisherman 204 that I would like to replace the dash and all gauges. Anyone done this? Looking for sources and ideas for dash materials. I was thinking of lexan, but am open to ideas.

Thanks.

Gradyrod

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you want the panels to come ready for installation (with switches and wiring already installed), check with MMES marine up in MA. Their website is http://www.wewireboats.com.

If you want to wire it up yourself, Fin-Addict Marine can make the panels out of 1/4" starboard, and cut the holes for the gauges and switches.

I'm contemplating the same project myself and will likely do it during the offseason. I did it on my 180; it makes the boat look brand new.

JeffN

Reaction score
I redid my switch panel the year before last and my instument panel and gauges last year. Makes a big difference. My panels were made by a person who may or may not be in business anymore so I will not mention names. He provided a switch panel with buss bars that was very nicely made. I went with toggle swtiches because I like the retro look and that is what came with the boat OEM. I supplied the toggle switches and installed them. In the case of the instrument panel he supplied just the panel with holes to spec. It was like pulling teeth to get the panel but in the end he did deliver. The panels are black, I got rid of the old woodgrain panels.

I have a merc I/O so I went with Smartcraft gauges instead of the existing analog. I have a Smartcraft monitor that provides many various engine readouts. I also added the new Smartcraft portal/monitor that you can program for rotating screens. I have five different screens that each screen provides three different readouts. I use the first monitor as a tach mostly and the monitor for basic digital readouts, in addition I have Smartcraft "traditional" single function gauges that look analog but are part of the Smartcraft system. Again I like the look of the retro panel. I have fuel level, oil pressure, volt meter, trim indicator, and engine temp. I can get all this info from the two monitors but I like the layout. I looked at the site Parthery provided and they have good looking stuff, I wish I knew about them before. I picked up the Smartcraft analog look gauges new off of ebay. The project really gave the helm area a new fresh look.

There are tons of analog gauge styles out there. I don't know what choices are available for Yamaha motors that are compatible with their electronic protocol. Go for it I really makes the helm area fresh and you can put the stuff where you want it. IT was enjoyable project too.

I guess the other option is to go with a mutlifunction display or "glass" panel instaed of gauges. I really did not have the space for that option. On a newer Grady I think you would.