Dash panel removal to get to Gages on a 2008 226 Seafarer

DRNO13

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does anyone have any advise on how to replace the fuel speed gage on a 2008 226 Seafarer? Cant get the panel off to get to the back on the gage.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Picture?

But if there's no visible fasteners then I would look for either an access panel behind the dash (well, "in front of", actually) or gain access via the lower electronics cubby - then reach up and feel for nuts. Stick your phone in there and take some pics.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 2006 228 has a box in the cabin to access the back of the electronics. Can’t remember if you can access the fuel/speed gauge.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
Following, I have the same question... can't access them from the electronics box and the exterior screws on the face of that panel just spin. I assume the only way to get in there is to drop down the cabbin headliner so i decided not to go there until it's necessary.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Following, I have the same question... can't access them from the electronics box and the exterior screws on the face of that panel just spin. I assume the only way to get in there is to drop down the cabbin headliner so i decided not to go there until it's necessary.
Are the upper and lower electronics boxes separated from each other by fiberglass? I would have thought that once behind the panels, it was a big open box.

They're not screws if they just spin - they must be bolts as I eluded to above. Or, at least, it would be unlikely that they were all stripped.

It would be easier to help with pictures (including the cabin side).

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Did GW eliminate the drop down box in the cabin, mentioned above? My 2000 has it, and I changed a tach last week-end with no problem. Your spinning screws may be going into something like the silver thing you see above and below the gauges. You are looking out the lower E-box at the steering wheel.
Try Super glueing one of those Phillips head bits into the screw head, and pull as you try to back it out.
I have all of the wires from the upper box, and the fuse panel below the helm, and the cable chase from the hardtop feeding into that space. Can’t imagine having to access it through that small panel.
IMG_3450.jpeg

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's a pic of the back of my 2004 228 panel. At sometime, Grady decided to put a divider in between the gauges and ebox. All my screws did the opposite, they were corroded in place and wouldn't turn,so I ended up drilling them out. I notched the divider to get my hand up there to hold the backside if they broke loose. The screws go into well nuts in fiberglass tabs behind the panel.
Screenshot_20231006_130136_Amazon Shopping.jpg20201029_104852.jpg20210727_201957.jpg

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
Are the upper and lower electronics boxes separated from each other by fiberglass? I would have thought that once behind the panels, it was a big open box.

They're not screws if they just spin - they must be bolts as I eluded to above. Or, at least, it would be unlikely that they were all stripped.

It would be easier to help with pictures (including the cabin side).
Hi Dennis,
My 2004 228 does have the drop down box to access my electronics but can't get to those guages in the upper compartment. I see Mr KYGrady has a solution (as always), thanks.

Reactions: Ky Grady