DC enclosure v. WA enclosure

MooseheadDoc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am looking for opinions based on personal experience with the enclosure on a Grady DC model.

I am looking to move out of my older Adventure 208. I love the boat. The size and layout is perfectly suited to my needs- large lake use for mixed fishing and general rec, 90% just 2 adults and a big dog. No hard top, but a full Bimini/isenglass enclosure that makes ALL the difference in Maine in April and October.

Unfortunately comparable boats come to market infrequently. DCs are more common. (There is a very active thread related to this topic:

I may sea trial a Tournament 225 later this week. From a performance and functionality standpoint the boat would probably meet my needs. I just wonder if the enclosure will work as well.

Thanks for any comments….JB

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you will find the DC lacking when it comes to foul weather protection compared to the WA. The tiny head compartment on the DC will be a disappointment also.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Even in May, often times!

I've owned boats with a regular bimini top and enclosures. As far as functionality goes - it's exactly the same as something with a hardtop. They work perfectly well. You'll have a bow cover that will secure to the middle windshield - ideally, there will be a tab on the aft end of the cover that secures on the underside of the center windshield piece as this helps to keep rain out, along with the pole that "tents" the bow cover. On some of my boats with bimini/enclosures I would regularly spend long weekends aboard and there really are no issues. Actually... you get more room inside the "tent" since the bimini is wider than a hardtop. A typical bimini enclosure setup in the rear will have a "slant back" cover that goes from the bimini to the stern of the boat. If you want to get crazy get a second, aft bimini along with enclosures - it basically covers the entire boat - ends up beign one big rectangular tent.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Not a fan of the DC center aisle walkway enclosure. But not a fan of the DCs in general.