dealer prep time on new boat?

paydaze77

Reaction score
hey all, quick question.. i ordered a new GW back in December and it arrived last Thursday. paid for it the same day, spoke with the dealer said they'd have it prepped (including bottom paint) and be ready in a week or so.. now they are telling me 3 weeks and not budging..

obviously eager to get the boat in the water, but is this normal?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It depends on a number of factors. Obviously every one wants their boats in the beginning of May. The bottom needs to be prepped and sealed prior to painting. Do you have extensive electronic package being added Radar, , GPS, Radio, VHF, Windlass ETC. Is the dealers a high volume outlet with many technicians and mechanics. All that said, it does seem like a bit long but with the volume these dealers are doing since the start of the pandemic, it is probably not that far of the norm. Would be curious what changed the time frame from 1 to 3 from the dealer. Good luck what model did you get?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Did you pay for the boat, or pay for the prep, last Thursday? Anyway, I would want my warranties to start the day that I took possession, not the day the boat was delivered to the dealer.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's a fair question to ask why the change from 1-1/2 weeks to 3 weeks - was something else added? Was the 1-1/2 week quote earlier and this 3 week is more "up to date"? 3 weeks is about right for a busy dealership, right now.

FYI, warranty won't start till the dealer submits the paperwork to Grady, which is typically done once you take possession.

paydaze77

Reaction score
It depends on a number of factors. Obviously every one wants their boats in the beginning of May. The bottom needs to be prepped and sealed prior to painting. Do you have extensive electronic package being added Radar, , GPS, Radio, VHF, Windlass ETC. Is the dealers a high volume outlet with many technicians and mechanics. All that said, it does seem like a bit long but with the volume these dealers are doing since the start of the pandemic, it is probably not that far of the norm. Would be curious what changed the time frame from 1 to 3 from the dealer. Good luck what model did you get?
i know everyone is rushing to get into the water, not to be arrogant but i think plunking down 300k would get me a little bump in the line to get in, lol.. electronics is being done by another company.. i bought a freedom 307.. there change is they are backed up, only excuse i can get out of them.. as soon as the electronics is done im gong to press them daily hopefully they wont want to hear from me

Did you pay for the boat, or pay for the prep, last Thursday? Anyway, I would want my warranties to start the day that I took possession, not the day the boat was delivered to the dealer.
boat was paid for in full on thursday.. good point on the warranties.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I bought new last year and had a bumpy start with my dealer. I'm not gonna make you happy but my advice is to work with your dealer, you want them to be responsive when you have warranty issues.

You could back and politely ask why it is 3 weeks and is there any amount of beer that would move that up?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd inquire and state that you plan to buy several boats over your lifetime (hint, the dealer should know that anyone that can afford to buy a new boat should have extreme attention paid to as they are far more likely to be a future new boat buyer). What they do: install the enclosure, wash and spot wax, fill fuel, water, test/charge batteries, test all systems and make customer ready, sand gel coat and bottom paint (maybe barrier paint before if part of their process - I'd inquire), install safety gear, inspect-define-set plans to correct any defects (usually later) and generally make the boat ready for the customer.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'd inquire and state that you plan to buy several boats over your lifetime.
This. When Grady told me they were discontinuing the 228 I said that sucks because I was thinking of buying another one for my kids.
Once you go Grady, if you are like me, it's nothing but Grady in my future. My boat, once we got the initial kinks worked out, has been rock solid and a joy to be on. Absolutely no regrets, no looking around at a different brand and wondering. Now looking at a bigger Grady and wondering, yeah, that's happened.

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
To do bottom paint right on a brand new boat is somewhat of a process that you dont want to rush. They can either rig the boat and then bring it back in and bottom paint it . Or they can paint it , wait for it to dry between primer and paint coats, and then go thru the rigging and pre-delivery process. It’s like making a bed, there’s no quick way to do it. You have to walk to each side multiple times to do it right no matter how good you are at it. Adding bottom paint added a week to your delivery. Yes, Some of the stuff could be done at the same time but its more likely that your dealer doesn’t have unlimited staff and to maximize their efficiency they will try to put a rigging tech on it or a bottom painter but not both. Be patient and let them do their thing. Badgering them daily will get you nothing. You’d be better off letting the team know how excited you are to get your new boat and send them a stack of Pizzas for lunch to let them know you appreciate them. It’s the best $75 you will ever spend.

Reactions: PointedRose

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
You’d be better off letting the team know how excited you are to get your new boat and send them a stack of Pizzas for lunch to let them know you appreciate them. It’s the best $75 you will ever spend.
Amen to that. It's so easy to get mad about stuff but that just hurts you, you want those guys to be happy to see you. I know, you spent $300K and they should be kissing your butt but pizza and beer and they'll be happy to help you.

Reactions: PointedRose