Dealership "restrictions" for buy a GW?

netbender

Reaction score
Good Day,
In the market for a GW, but am slightly confused about where you can and can not buy a new or used boat. The way I understand it, GW wants to know "where do you do your boating"? Well, what if I trailer for vacations? What if my local dealer doesn't even hav any GW's in stock or in the parking lot for that matter? Is this required just for new boat sales/service or for all models, even used ones?

I get a quote from one, but not the other. Any advice welcome. If you do not wish to post publicly then person message is fine.

Thanks, Dave

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought from private party, used boat, no restrictions. I trailer all over living in Kentucky. I use the Grady-White dealer in Charleston, South Carolina for Grady specific parts since I spend most of my time down there. I've made acquaintance with the Grady dealer up by Lake Erie if I need to get something from them while fishing up there. Same for dealer down in Florida where we vacation once a year. Geographically, if I wanted to purchase a new one and I had to use the closest dealer, it would be either Mid-Carolina in Columbia SC or South Shore in Huron, OH. Although, I would lobby very hard to use Seel's in Charleston since I'm already established with them.

netbender

Reaction score
Ky Grady,
What you are doing is what I would consider reasonable. Who do you "lobby"? The local dealership designated by GW, or the dealership that has the boat you want on their lot, if buying from a dealer?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Depends. Is the dealership that has the boat, going to be your dealership from here on out? If no, I would sit down and talk with my dealer and see what can be done. If they are agreeable with you purchasing from the other dealer since they have inventory with no ill feelings and will continue to service the new boat, then it's up to selling dealer to make sure corporate is ok with the arrangement. Dealers have territories and you may be crossing over. I'd make sure both dealers and Grady-White corporate are good with what you're trying to do, then proceed forward.

With the Rona virus, inventory is limited I'm sure at the dealers.

Reactions: JJMag

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I bought both my previous and current 228 used. One from GA and the current one from FLA. I'm in Sydney AU. I was considering buying a new one on the second time from my local dealer as I couldn't buy a new boat from USA. The main reason I didn't was because they didn't have any in stock so I had to wait 3 months.
Dealers in USA wouldn't sell me a new one because we have GW dealers in AU.
No problem buying a used one anywhere I could find one though. I don't service mine at a GW dealer here I do it at my local Yamaha dealer and look after the boat myself.
As a matter of interest in the two years since I bought my boat the local dealer has increased the price of a new 228 by 22%.!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For a brand new current model year boat, GW will direct you to a specific dealer based on your zip code. This has been the rule for years, and whether it’s right or wrong, it’s how GW does business. They aren’t the only one.

Once new inventory is a model year old, it can be sold to anyone anywhere.

Inventory is sometimes traded between dealers, but there is a freight expense. Usually the dealer will prefer to use one of his/her production slots to build you a boat and then it’s shipped directly from the factory.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As noted above, the "where you do your boating" is through Grady's site, not a dealer's site. Grady simply wants to direct you to your closest dealer to better help you. You may find that if you need warranty work and didn't buy the boat from the place that you're visiting for work, that won't be able to get it done. A dealer can't specifically deny you warranty work, but if they're backed up (VERY common) with their own customers, you obviously will be way down on the list. Some places are so busy with their own customers that you essentially wouldn't get worked on.

In the end, it's really best to try and work with the dealer that you would most likely re-visit. Boat sales are not like cars where you just send out a few anonymous emails to a bunch of places asking for a quote. It's more personal with boats.

Talk to them about the boat you want - you might find that there isn't even the model you want available anywhere, right now. You may have to order for next year. I can't say this is the case for sure with Grady, but it is with some manufacturer's right now with how backed up they are and all of the plant restrictions they are.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The dealers each have their territory and usually respect each other as there is work after the sale as well.

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
When I was about to purchase my 208 for shipment to Hawaii I initially went through a dealer in LA and with recommendation through someone that shipped a Grady here I got a quote with a dealer in Oakland. The price was the same, the difference was in “commissioning fees” which one dealer charged for set-up, safety equipment, test of everything prior to delivery. The other left that up to the buyer, with both quotes my first dealer said they could drop the commissioning and allow me to get all my safety equipment etc. It helped me to save some $ and get the equipment I wanted. I will say though that it did piss off the second dealer as they felt as I was “playing the dealers against each other” on price, and they all have to meet for meetings once a year and it can create tension. I tried my best to explain that wasn’t my intention, but I don’t think there is a huge difference from dealer to dealer.
I stuck with dealer #1 because they have been incredible with communication and keeping me in the loop with everything.