Death of a 19' Tournament

bfiesta

Reaction score
July 3rd, 2007, 11:36pm. Lying on the couch just starting to doze off... and I hear a 'boom'. Sounds like someone setting off a M80.

A 17' 2003 Bayliner with six people aboard hits our moored boat approximately 60 feet off shore. No wait there's more... The kicker... the guy who owns the POS Bayliner and was driving 30+ knots, 60 feet from shore, in the pitch dark (moon rise was at 11:45 that evening), is a Commander of a ballistic missile submarine.

So, here you go... let the lamentations begin:

Pic1Bowshot.jpg

Pic14Bowstarboardmeasurelength.jpg

Pic6Bowshotstarboard.jpg

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
heh heh I think I would find said Navy Captain and kick his ass, to bad he wont get in a lot of trouble though. Was he drunk?? If he was then the Navy will get involved.

bfiesta

Reaction score
Time for a new Grady!

No booze found on board. He apologized about 50 times but that doesn't bring my boat back.

Yes, the POS Bayliner had a gash about three feet long and at least 15 inches wide. Only three inches above the water line. One young girl riding in the bow of the Bayliner went into the drink. She was quickly recovered. The other young girl in the bow was hit by my bow railing and received a full body contusion on her right side from her shoulder to her thigh.

I understand there are greater tragedies in life... and it’s a good thing nobody was hurt really bad 'or worse'. BUT... what an idiot! There are two things I learned early on (from a much older and experienced sailor than myself) is, 1. Always make certain there is more water under your keel than the distance from the bottom to the keel. 2. When visibility is limited you slow the F*CK (his words) down.

Yes the boat was a 1988. But it was in excellent running condition. Excellent. What’s more my wife bought it new in 1988 (one of the reasons I married her!). In the summer (which is short in the Puget Sound) we literally use our boat every day. So, our summer is shot. That stings. But then I have to go rounds with this guy’s insurance company (Progressive). To the point I have to hire a lawyer. The good news (if there can be any) is the matter is finally settled. The tow company came yesterday to tow the boat away. While we aren't 100% happy with the settlement it's time to move on:

To a bigger Grady! At least a 25' Sailfish. 1992 or newer. Clean and pretty (per wife), and in excellent running condition. Delivered to the Puget Sound under $40K?!?

mlaforge

Reaction score
That's terrible. We have an '89 Tournament in great running condition, so I know what you mean. You can't find a replacement for "what its worth." There are a lot of Tournament owners out there looking for original parts in great condition, is there any way you can get your hands on anything to help pay for that new Grady? Good luck with the new boat.

bfiesta

Reaction score
The only things that survived the ordeal is a brand new Eagle fishchamp 2000 GPS/SChatplotter/Sonar and the canvas package. Both of which I will probably be posting in the 'for sale' section shortly.

As for the value... yes, the two offers from the insurance company were down right insulting! Here is a little insurance insight we gathered during the tussle that might be of help to others: boat values are pretty much set. Most insurance companies use NADA which has notoriously low values for boats. So expect to be screwed on the value. It's the other values, however, where the insurance companies have discretion. Things like 'loss of use', 'shipping', 'tax & license', etc. Of course it's a whole different ballgame if you have to 'go to the mattresses' and take them to court. Something we narrowly avoided. With out a doubt it has been an emotional experience to loose our beloved Grady. There are NO winners in these situations. Even when you have ZERO fault.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
That's one reason I insure with Boat US. It's a "declared value" policy where I can insure for a specified value rather than a "book" value. The declared value has to be reasonable based the type and age of the boat, but at least I know what the settlement value should be in the event of a total loss. That may not have helped you since the other guy's company had to pay the claim but it may have given you some leverage in the negotiations.
Hope you can find a replacement soon! Good Luck!

bfiesta

Reaction score
Your absolutely correct, Chris. Declared value is the way to go. Most insurance companies offer this type of policy. However, you will pay substaitially more for declared value. Your right again, in that a declared value wouldn't matter in our situation since there was zero fault on our side. I of course had the option of just totalling the boat through MY insurance company. Taken the check and be done with it. But I wouldn't have recieved Loss of Use, Tax & License value for a new boat, and freight/shipping of a new boat (if one can't be found locally). Also, if you total your vessel with YOUR insurance you better believe your rates are going to go up. Thanks for the good wishes for a new boat. I hope I can find one soon as well. Either a new Grady or a new wife that comes with one! :lol:

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I learned something today. I didn't realize you could collect loss of use, tax & license, freight on a new boat etc. from the other guy. What about an amount for loss of faith in humanity and in the competency of a naval officer? Just kidding!

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bryan,
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but Sea Ray of Cincinnati has a 2000 GW 262 for sale. It's on page 3 of their inventory page. their web site is www.searayofcincinnati.com
Check it out. They own the dealerships in Cincy, Louisville, and Lexington and have always been pretty straight shooters. I bought my Whaler from them back in 2002.

bfiesta

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping a weather eye Chris! A little too expensive for me especially after having to ship it to Seattle. Thanks all the same.

gw204

Reaction score
bfiesta said:
Thanks for the offer but we are holding out for a 1992 or newer(preferable 1994 or newer) Sailfish.

I've got a '93 for sale. The link is in my sig if your interested.

Sorry to hear about your 19. :(

Protek9543

Reaction score
wilson Posted: Aug Sun 19, 2007 10:24 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that's one for jawz!!!!!!

I second that. Don't reef-it yet.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
that's nothing !!

Protek9543 said:
wilson Posted: Aug Sun 19, 2007 10:24 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that's one for jawz!!!!!!

I second that. Don't reef-it yet.

no big deal bro !! i put an entire bow on a 19' mako...the boat hit a bridge...get this...the operator of the boat was legally blind in the state of new jersey-i swear to god !! he's albiano,he can't see !!!
a few years ago there was a real bad wind storm on the delaware bay,i repaired probably 12 boats,all with major damage...a few of those were gradys..one was a 24 offshore,it was missing approx 7' of it's upper deck and the hull to deck joint..."barnacle bill's can back this one up...that damage on your boat isn't really that bad,it just looks that way...
that's a terrible shame what happened,i feel real bad for you...it could've been much worse somone could've been seriously hurt or killed....

bfiesta

Reaction score
Yes, good news is no one was seriously, seriously, injured. Bad news is no boat for the summer. Although we did get way more money than the boat was worth from his insurance (when you factor in 'loss of use', etc.). The boat is now in the hands of the insurance company's salvage yard. They money will be used to leverage a bigger boat.

It blows me away the number of idiots I see every freak'in weekend behind the helm. And don't even get me started on the state of Washington just starting to phase in licensing of boaters. It's ludicrous. BUT, at this point, I'll take anything. If it only keeps one inept boater off our waters, I'll take it.

Jim, I wish you were in Seattle! I've found pretty good mechanics in the Puget Sound but good fiberglass work, forget about it!

striped bass

Reaction score
bfiesta: Your pics didn't come out on my PC. Would you kindly post the pics again using another format.
Thanks.
PS: Sorry for your loss. It gets you right in the gut. Just bought a GW Tournament after test driving every GW.