Decision time

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My house in CT is under contract and we have a contract on a house in St. Augustine. Still haven't decided what to do with my Grady, leaving in a couple weeks so need to determine rather quickly. I really don't want to tow the boat myself for that long a distance even though the trailer only has forty or fifty miles on it. I have a couple quotes(cheapest $1800) to have someone tow it down for me but just about every marina I have contacted has a waiting list for a slip or rack storage. So the only option is to keep it at a storage facility about eleven miles from a boat ramp as I can't keep it at the house. The other option is to sell it up here in CT and be done with it.

Decisions decisions.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
How attached are you to this particular boat? If it's your ideal ride that will meet your needs and give you enjoyment for years to come, it would be worth getting it to St Augustine and storing it 'till a rack comes open.

If, on the other hand, your thinking of upsizing anyway, or your ho-hum about keeping it, move it out.

It's easy for me to type out your future sitting here. I get that these are not insignificant decisions. I still think it comes down to how much you like the boat.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm sitting here in Sarasota and trailered mine down from Kentucky. Like magic said, unless you are looking to upsize, I'd trailer down to St Augustine and have my boat with me. Love having my boat with me. Haven't taken it out yet, maybe tomorrow. Awesome to have options.
20200628_162832.jpg20200628_162935.jpg

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Marinas and dry stack storage are jammed full all over the state. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the COVID outbreak has had a great effect on boating in Florida. They shut down bars, restaurants, theme parks, and sports. The kids were out of school. But they left boating open through it all. There was not much else to do. So boat sales and ramp and marina usage went through the roof. It's hard to get new boats down here right now and everybody seems to want a boat. Waits at ramps can be over an hour in some places.

As suggested, you need to decide if the boat you have now will be the right boat for St. Augustine. I'm not familiar with the area, so I can't offer any advice. But fishing and boating are way different here as compared to the northeast. Unless you are familiar with boating and fishing in the area you will be moving to and know your boat will be right, it would be best to sell up north where the value will be higher than it will be in Florida.

If you do decide to bring your boat, $1800 seems like a fair price for someone to haul it down for you. Just be sure that they have insurance and that the trailer tires are in good shape. Tires go bad sitting around because of solar exposure and the fact that the plasticizers don't get distributed in the rubber unless the tires are being used.

There is still plenty of space in RV storage lots. But it may take you a year or so on a waiting list to find a spot at a marina.

Reactions: magicalbill

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
About an hour after posting this I got a call and a slip opened up in a marina. So now just need to decide to commit to that slip and have it towed.

If I get rid of this boat I don’t anticipate getting another one anytime soon.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Keep the boat. You are moving to Florida not Kansas . St. Augustine is beautiful. You will want venture offshore,learn how to catch some dolphin ,aka mahi, and take a cruise and sand bar it at Mantanzas. You won't regret bringing the boat but you will regret not having it.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Keep the boat... you can have uShip ship it for you. I know.. I regret getting rid of boats because the urge to fish then has to be when others are ready.. owning a boat means I can go anytime "I" want to go. Where you are heading.. you will wish you had not gotten rid of it.

Go to uship.come and get someone to tow it for you.

R

Lsquared

Reaction score
About an hour after posting this I got a call and a slip opened up in a marina. So now just need to decide to commit to that slip and have it towed.

If I get rid of this boat I don’t anticipate getting another one anytime soon.
the St augustine area is beautiful to ride around, the inlet may get a little tough a times but he area itself is awesome. spent a lot of time there.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Decided to try and sell the boat in CT instead of bringing it down. It was a hard decision but I feel it is the right one at the moment, my wife was never fond of the boat so she very seldom went with me. I probably will never own another Grady but will have had many years enjoyment with my Seafarer while I had it.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I was wondering what the verdict might be.

As fun as boating is, it is not without commitment and you may be happier without one. Several of my friends are.

Hope your move goes well.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was wondering what the verdict might be.

As fun as boating is, it is not without commitment and you may be happier without one. Several of my friends are.

Hope your move goes well.
My brother in law lives there and has several friends with Boats, he also belongs to the boat club. So we will see how it goes.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Decided to try and sell the boat in CT instead of bringing it down. It was a hard decision but I feel it is the right one at the moment, my wife was never fond of the boat so she very seldom went with me. I probably will never own another Grady but will have had many years enjoyment with my Seafarer while I had it.
Please contact me.

Brian @ 9088872441. I’m looking to sell my 226 and get a 228

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How attached are you to this particular boat? If it's your ideal ride that will meet your needs and give you enjoyment for years to come, it would be worth getting it to St Augustine and storing it 'till a rack comes open.

If, on the other hand, your thinking of upsizing anyway, or your ho-hum about keeping it, move it out.

It's easy for me to type out your future sitting here. I get that these are not insignificant decisions. I still think it comes down to how much you like the boat.
I would love to bring it down but I have to have a slip or store it at an Rv/boat storage as am moving to an HOA and they do not allow boats, trailers etc.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nmiela , I wouldn’t love to talk to you about your boat

Brian.

908-887-2441