Decision

scrtchglf

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 1986 Seafarer 22 with Volvo diesel. The engine blew last year and the new engine upgrade (installed) will be over $40k. I have only about $2k invested. I’m just thinking the boat won’t have 45k value if upgraded. Considering selling the hull. Thoughts?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I definitely wouldn’t spend $40k on the re-power of a 36 year old boat as it’s only going to be a matter of time before you have to address a multitude of other issues from a boat of that vintage. And I completely agree that just because you sink $40k+ into the boat doesn’t necessarily mean it’s worth that much money. Sell the hull for as much money as you can and then buy something considerably newer that won’t need additional work done to it and that isn’t 36 years old. I just bought my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer last October in Maryland for $26.5k and got a great deal on a great boat in absolutely fantastic condition. If you did something like I did, then you’ve got $10k+ to put into your pocket or spend on other things. If you do buy another boat, I always recommend having a surveyor look it over with/for you. Good luck!

cosmic

Reaction score
No way on the new engine. If the old one truly can't be salvaged/rebuilt then the only realistic option is find another used engine, if it's worth the effort to you. Nobody really wants to deal with I/O's anymore so no matter what you do to repair, the value won't be there.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
So reading this thread... I have a 2001 192 with a 150 2 stroke (HDPI) that currently runs great and has around 700 hours. My thoughts are that when this motor goes I'd repower since I have the newer hull and the boat seems to be in great shape. In my case would you also think that it's not worth re-powering a 20 year old GW? The idea of having my boat with a new 4 stroke seems very appealing to me (compared to spending a lot more for a new or newer boat with a 4 stroke). I'd appreciate any thoughts on that.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Is the stern solid? Did you keep water our of it and keep that joint between the hull and cap water tight? If so, the saying goes new motor equals new boat. If the hull is good I would repower.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
So reading this thread... I have a 2001 192 with a 150 2 stroke (HDPI) that currently runs great and has around 700 hours. My thoughts are that when this motor goes I'd repower since I have the newer hull and the boat seems to be in great shape. In my case would you also think that it's not worth re-powering a 20 year old GW? The idea of having my boat with a new 4 stroke seems very appealing to me (compared to spending a lot more for a new or newer boat with a 4 stroke). I'd appreciate any thoughts on that.
If your stern is in good shape , then consider repowering that boat. A new F150 on the back makes the 192 just hum. I had a192 and put a F150 on her ..Great boat .

Reactions: MashpeeMan

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
A lot depends on the true condition of the motor and boat and electronics. Also how you use it.
Freshwter or salt? Trailer or dock? Florida year round or 6 month season?
Its a 19 fter with a single. You probably run around a lake or a bay. If the motor fails you drop anchor, make a call & wait...no big deal.

At that age the motor gets crusty, tilt & trim rods get pitted, steering pivot gets tight. Things start to nickel & dime you.
But depending on how you use it you might just be best off gambling with the HPDI

At 20 the boat in good condition can have another 10 years. New motor gives you +10 years. Do you want that size boat for the next 10 years?
Do you dream of a bigger boat? Don't put a motor on it to sell it.

The boat is FREE to you. So $15k gets you a nice used boat with a brand new motor. You can sell the HPDI for a few $.

So my answer is maybe or maybe not

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Very very different animal than the OP's situation. You have a considerably newer boat with a more desirable style of power. If you repowered I'm sure you wouldn't get 100 cents on the dollar back when you go to sell, but the recovery could be high enough that it would be a worthwhile cost for some extra good years of boat usage, assuming no other large issues with the hull.

However at the same time, isn't that size of HPDI considered to be relatively bulletproof if well maintained? Odds are you can expect many more years of life from the current power anyway.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
If your stern is in good shape , then consider repowering that boat. A new F150 on the back makes the 192 just hum. I had a192 and put a F150 on her ..Great boat .
Thanks Smoky... I do believe that the stern is solid. The bang plate was coming loose a few years ago so I gooped the seam with whatever the caulking is that's like cement (recommended by the guy at West Marine). It certainly does feel solid to me... but that is something I'll double check before re-powering. Thanks for the advice and agreed, great boat!

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
A lot depends on the true condition of the motor and boat and electronics. Also how you use it.
Freshwter or salt? Trailer or dock? Florida year round or 6 month season?
Its a 19 fter with a single. You probably run around a lake or a bay. If the motor fails you drop anchor, make a call & wait...no big deal.

At that age the motor gets crusty, tilt & trim rods get pitted, steering pivot gets tight. Things start to nickel & dime you.
But depending on how you use it you might just be best off gambling with the HPDI

At 20 the boat in good condition can have another 10 years. New motor gives you +10 years. Do you want that size boat for the next 10 years?
Do you dream of a bigger boat? Don't put a motor on it to sell it.

The boat is FREE to you. So $15k gets you a nice used boat with a brand new motor. You can sell the HPDI for a few $.

So my answer is maybe or maybe not
Thanks Skunk... all good advice! The current condition of the boat and motor seems to be excellent. The boat spent the first ten years of its like on one of the big lakes in NH from what I was told by my Dad who bought the boat before I took possession, and then it's been used on the Cape for the last 7-8 years in salt-water, stored for the Winter. My inclination is to basically do just what you said... keep running the boat and if necessary swap out the HPDI for a 4-stroke. I use the boat in primarily Bay water and on nice days I run it on Nantucket Sound. I find it's the perfect boat for my needs and don't see trading up in size any time soon as it's really hard to justify the price differential for those few feet (I own the current boat now and, for example, at 23' Freedom would come with a six+ figure cost). Appreciate the advice!

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Very very different animal than the OP's situation. You have a considerably newer boat with a more desirable style of power. If you repowered I'm sure you wouldn't get 100 cents on the dollar back when you go to sell, but the recovery could be high enough that it would be a worthwhile cost for some extra good years of boat usage, assuming no other large issues with the hull.

However at the same time, isn't that size of HPDI considered to be relatively bulletproof if well maintained? Odds are you can expect many more years of life from the current power anyway.
Thank you Blynch... Honestly the HPDI has been a great motor since I've owned the boat and I could envision it running for a number of years without issue. I started thinking about possibly trading up for a somewhat bigger boat, but after getting some sticker shock I thought about what it would take to repower the 192 instead if/when the motor does start to give me any issues. The HPDI seems to be very quiet for a 2 stroke and I'm not even sure I'd gain anything (or much) in terms of efficiency. Just a thought that crossed my mind and as I read this thread I figured I'd throw it out there. Very helpful. Thank you!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison in that your boat is 15 years newer than the OP's boat, and the price you'll spend if/when you go to re-power is going to probably be half of what the OP mentioned he'll pay at $40k. What is a new Suzuki or Yamaha 150hp outboard cost, $15k-20k? That's a much easier pill to swallow than $40k, and yes on a 2001 hull as compared to a 1986 I'd definitely at least throw some serious consideration into re-powering. Unless you wanted to go with a bigger, newer or slightly different boat when the time comes.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I think it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison in that your boat is 15 years newer than the OP's boat, and the price you'll spend if/when you go to re-power is going to probably be half of what the OP mentioned he'll pay at $40k. What is a new Suzuki or Yamaha 150hp outboard cost, $15k-20k? That's a much easier pill to swallow than $40k, and yes on a 2001 hull as compared to a 1986 I'd definitely at least throw some serious consideration into re-powering. Unless you wanted to go with a bigger, newer or slightly different boat when the time comes.
Agreed and understood. Thanks Mustang.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk