Decisions decisions ...

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Well, I finally could see another 306 Bimini on my way back from Sardinia to Switzerland and I'm in love with her.

2008 306 Bimini with 2008 F350

Boat and engines are in very nice conditions, has 2022 twin Raytheon Axion 12" and a 1Kw transducer.

I would take the boat immediately if there where other than the darn F350 where installed even if there was made some work on them, new ECU's flywheels replaced and as far I understood a head replaced too.
However, the list of people with serious problems with the first series of F350 is very long I am aware that I would have to repower more sooner than later and that would add at least another 50K to the budget.

Boat would cost me 100K with maintenance done, checked ad repaired all non working things and new antifouling, but I have to add driving her over to Sardinia what will be about 250 nm sneaking along the coast and the small islands between Italy Mainland, Corsica and Sardinia.
So final cost will be 100K + 50/60K for 2 new 300HP outboards plus expenses to drive her over to Sardinia and replacing the Axiom's with Garmin's selling the Axioms and either installing the one I have or buying all new 8412, a radar and only use my GSD26.
So final expenses would be somewhere around 170K, and that's a steep price for a 2008 boat.

On the way to see this Bimini a checked a 2008 Carolina Classic 35 in very good shape too for 170K and a 2011 Carolina Classic 32 with tower and that's certainly a lot more of boat, even too much ...
The Carolina Classic's would be much more expensive in maintenance but has a cabin for overnighters and the semi closed cockpit would be nice to have in winter what can be cold even in Sardinia.

I really like the GW 306 Bimini/Canyon for it's layout, the closing electronics box, much more easy to handle as it's a CC and not having to deal with for me new inboards.
But, 170K is a lot of money and about half for what I could get a new one here.

What do you think should I do?

Chris

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Personally, I would not buy a boat with a f350, even a gen3 (or is it called version C).
I also am a fan of twins over one bigger motor on anything over 24 feet or so. Regarding repower, would twin F250s be sufficient? I think you might get a better deal on 250s.
On the other hand, rigging the boat for twins might be a complex project depending on whether the hull is equipped for two motors with respect to gas tank pickups, wiring and plumbing.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Hi seasick, thanks for your reply!
The 306 Bimini has twin F350, not a single one and yes I am a fan for twins too, mainly for the arguable safety gain twins have.

Rigging would not be a problem, I rigged a lot of boats, only unknown is how the old rigging is installed, mainly if all zip tied by factory or not.
If they come out easily and pulling the new ones who are usually thinner should be a big problem, but never rigged a GW as they are very uncommon boats here in Italy.
Same for plumbing, I would just have to replace the fuel lines but that should be a rather simple task.

Yes, I would not buy a boat with F350 if I could choose, but there is no choice here, I I would be in US I would pay more for a much newer boat 2015 up, but from 2012 on US boats where too expensive to import to Europe hat makes them very hard to find.

I checked another 306 Bimini but it's about 10K cheaper but has with 2020 twin Garmin 8412 as I would like and 2020 Suzukis 250,
but the boat is from 2000 and beaten up and a short smell in the bilge smelled "moldy" and I could see some of the wooden bulkheads where wet.
Other problem is that about half of the lower unit is submerged when engine is fully tilted up what is somehow normal on pre 2005 boats but I hate that.

Chris

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The only way you should ever consider buying an early model f350 on a boat is if it is priced to replace the engines in the near future.

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If the boat is in good condition I would consider buying . Don't forget you will get some money for your 350's and you will have brand new engines, not 15 yo engines.

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Thanks for the replies!

The only way you should ever consider buying an early model f350 on a boat is if it is priced to replace the engines in the near future.
If the boat is in good condition I would consider buying . Don't forget you will get some money for your 350's and you will have brand new engines, not 15 yo engines.
I answer on both as it's the same answer
Yes, I am aware that I probably have but want to replace the F350 as I hate to not trust my propulsion
Honestly I don't think that the boat is right priced, yes it has new electronics (but not the ones I want) and its in a very good shape, but repower with DF300/DF350 or BF350 will cost me at least 50K and then the price will skyrocket to somewhere around 170K.

Agreed far too much risk and problem history.
Yep, i am aware of that and that is my hesitation, if the engine where 2008 F300 then I would buy it. I am not scared of the age, I am scared of the known problems of the F350. Selling the two F350 will be difficult here, but selling for a very low price (10K for both) could work.
There is also the problem that I can't know how much hours the engines had before the ECU was replaced and the hours went back to zero.
This would be a mental problem for me and would be dishonest to sell the engine advertising the actual hours and not informing the buyer that the ECU's where replaced and most likely the engine hours started over again.

Chris