Deck crack with rust?

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 2004 GW Gulfstream 232. I noticed a small (1"-2" long) crack on the starboard side of the cockpit. It has rust on it. I am trying to figure out why there is metal on/near/in the small crack. I am going to scrape out the crack to see if there is anything lodged in it, but seems like I'd see something in it if there is enough to create so much rust. I got the thinking, I wonder if there is something under the deck that pushed up from inside. The pictures are not that good, I hadn't thought of trying to troubleshoot this way. The crack does have a slight curve to the surface as if something pushed underneath. I had new cables from the motors to the helm last Fall, but I cannot imagine what could have happened. Of course, it could just be something heavy and metallic got drop on the deck and the embedded in it. I'll be back on the boat next week and well clean up the streaking rust and look for more clues. Any ideas?
20200628_102936 crack1.jpg20200628_110942 crack1.jpg
Thanks and take care.
Len

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Maybe a steel fastener under the glass is oozing out rust from moisture coming in the crack or from under the deck. When a screw rusts, sometimes it swells. May have created the crack due to swelling.

Fishtales

Reaction score
pull the deck and do some investigation work. i think the guys above are on to something,