Deck Drain Hose

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
ill be replacing my deck drain hoses this off season. whats the correct hose to use for this? bonus points for a link to buy, especially on amazon

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It needs to be reinforced hose. I used vac hose, as well, when I replaced mine. I honestly don't know if it's officially approved for "below the waterline" but I have quite a bit of experience with this stuff over a few decades on many boats - I felt very comfortable using it regardless of whether or not it's rated for UTWL.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Be sure to get Series 148 not 140.

Series 149 is the black version

Series 148 hose is an all-around good choice for bilge, potable water fill and sanitation applications.

Extra-heavy, smooth-walled, PVC hose for sanitation system connections (head intake, head to holding tank, holding tank discharge and pump-out). Excellent for critical bilge, drain, scupper line and potable water fill applications. FDA-approved low water-absorption compounds have excellent resistance to odor permeation and toilet chemicals. Reinforced with hard vinyl helix for good bend radius, vacuum rating and corrosion protection. Smooth cover permits clamping without cuffs. Do not use in pressurized water systems. Sold per foot; 50' maximum continuous length.

Key Features

• Obstruction-free inner wall won't impede flow
  • Reisitant to odor permeation
  • Vinyl helix reinforcement for good bend radius
  • Not compatible with ethylene glycol antifreeze
  • Not for use in pressurized systems
Specifications

• Application: Sanitation, bilge pump intake/discharge, drains, scupper, water tank fill
  • Material: FDA grade PVC
  • Reinforcement: Vinyl helix
  • Temperature Range: 13°-140°F
  • Vacuum Rating: 28

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not sure what brand they carry, but I used the inch and a half white VAC from my local Ace Hardware, when I replaced my deck drains. The fit was so loose that I could not stop a steady drip when it was in the water, although it was heated and double clamped on both ends. I replaced it with their inch and a quarter, and had to heat it to get it on the fittings, and honestly, I don’t think I would’ve even had to clamp it, it was so tight.
If you do have to heat the hose to get it on, heat the entire length of the barb, plus an inch, and not just the opening. Lube the barb with soap, and don’t get the hose so hot that it starts to collapse when you push it in. Like Skunk said, the stuff is expensive, but it doesn’t hurt to practice if you have any extra.

Attachments

• IMG_1633.jpeg
    IMG_1633.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1640.jpeg
    IMG_1640.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
A

Amelia kate

A deck drain hose, sometimes referred to as a scupper hose, is a component commonly used in boating and marine applications. It serves the purpose of draining water from the deck or other areas of a boat, usually overboard, to prevent water accumulation and potential damage.

Here are some key points about deck drain hoses:

1. Material: Deck drain hoses are typically made of durable, flexible materials like rubber, PVC, or other plastics. These materials are chosen for their resistance to saltwater, UV rays, and other environmental factors that boats are exposed to.

2. Size: The size of a deck drain hose can vary, and it's often chosen based on the specific requirements of the boat. Common diameters range from 1 inch to 4 inches or more, depending on the volume of water that needs to be drained.

3. Length: Deck drain hoses come in various lengths to accommodate different boat sizes and configurations. They can be cut to the desired length to suit the specific installation.

4. Fittings: Many deck drain hoses come with fittings or adapters on one or both ends to facilitate connections to scuppers, deck drains, or other drainage systems on the boat.

5. Installation: Deck drain hoses are typically installed to route water from the deck or other areas to a location where it can safely drain overboard. Proper installation ensures that water is effectively removed from the boat, preventing flooding or damage.

6. Maintenance: Regular maintenance is essential to ensure that deck drain hoses remain in good working condition. Check for cracks, wear, or blockages, and replace or clean hoses as needed.

7. Compliance: In some cases, there may be specific regulations or guidelines governing the installation and use of deck drain hoses on boats, especially for larger vessels and commercial vessels. It's important to ensure compliance with any relevant standards.

Deck drain hoses are crucial for the safety and functionality of boats, as they help prevent standing water on the deck, which can lead to slippery surfaces, damage, and instability. Proper maintenance and inspection of these hoses are important for the safety of the vessel and its occupants.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I replaced my port side scupper hoses with the same pvc Sani hose. may I recommend that you don't try to save the deck fittings and just cut them off and replace with new. or you can try what I did, ignore the same advice someone else gave me, try for 3 hours to save the fittings only to cut them off and order new deck drains.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I replaced my port side scupper hoses with the same pvc Sani hose. may I recommend that you don't try to save the deck fittings and just cut them off and replace with new. or you can try what I did, ignore the same advice someone else gave me, try for 3 hours to save the fittings only to cut them off and order new deck drains.
But I've ALMOST got it... I know I can get it... Almost there... Almost there... 3 hours later: Screw it, I'm cutting it off

Yeah, been there before on similar things! Spending an inordinate amount of time trying to save an old, inexpensive part.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
But I've ALMOST got it... I know I can get it... Almost there... Almost there... 3 hours later: Screw it, I'm cutting it off

Yeah, been there before on similar things! Spending an inordinate amount of time trying to save an old, inexpensive part.
lol exactly!!!!!
what are the odds that amelia is an AI bot?
your right! I missed that the first time... I guess I would have been terminated

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I will never use wire wrapped hose for a drain again. I think that the wire rusting and swelling is what causes the deterioration of the hose. I see no need for it on a gravity drain, with no pressure, and no heat.

Reactions: Chutch

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Correct, they are just a PITA, but needed for fuel applications.

For drain the transparent or white VAC hose with the plastic spiral to keep it round works well.

Chris

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Boat manufacturers use hoses that are NMMA and/or ABYC approved. It is your boat and you can replace with whatever you see fit. However, if you sell it, a surveyor may flag the drain hoses if not approved for below water line.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Yes, that is correct.
But the rubber hoses with ferrous spiral inside are for fuel use or things they can come in contact with fuel and oils..

What I don't know is what kind of hoses are for deck drains and they are not below waterline, well usually not.
Should you have a link or know were to find that informations it would be interesting to see if something better than the discussed rubber hoses is allowed.

Chris

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
my through hulls for the deck drains are at water level at best. id consider them "below waterline"