Deck Drain Thru Hulls

fellinger

Reaction score
I have 1995 272 Sailfish and I have been replacing all of the thru hulls. I ordered the thru hull fittings according to GW specs but, the one sent for the deck drain scuppers don't have the pre-drilled areas to attach the plastic scupper ring. My question; are the scuppers REALLY necessary or do they only aid in sloshing? They never full close so, I can't see why they are a must. I am replacing my deck drain fittings with ones that have a anti-slosh included. Keep searching for fittings to accept scuppers or just send it?

seasick

Reaction score
You will find out when you back up especially with passengers on board.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
They don't need to be fully closed all the time - as SS mentioned, when you start backing up, the force of the water will close them. If they are not there, and depending on backup speed and how high your floor is above the waterline, the water can backup into the cockpit.

If you're adding another style of backflow preventer, then you don't really need the flappers.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have 1995 272 Sailfish and I have been replacing all of the thru hulls. I ordered the thru hull fittings according to GW specs but, the one sent for the deck drain scuppers don't have the pre-drilled areas to attach the plastic scupper ring. My question; are the scuppers REALLY necessary or do they only aid in sloshing? They never full close so, I can't see why they are a must. I am replacing my deck drain fittings with ones that have a anti-slosh included. Keep searching for fittings to accept scuppers or just send it?
When you say Deck drain scuppers you mean the 1-1/2" thru hulls with flappers????

Not sure what you mean by "pre-drilled areas to attach the plastic scupper ring."

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm guessing the hole is for the screw that holds the rubber flapper?
Either way depends how high deck is in relation to water (moving or standing). If aft as the guys say, - yea who wants wet feet. If on the hull sides, I'd be worried about a hose failure and nothing to at least restrict water flow. Either way get some stay afloat so you can plug them up in an emergency.