Deck plate o-rings

Seahunter

Reaction score
My deck plates are in pretty good condtion but a couple of the o-rings are shot and need replaced.

Anyone know where you can get aftermarket o-rings?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pop off the cover and look on the back side, does it read Tempress marine? Is the o ring clear or black?

If tempress, google to get to their website for the O rings.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat Owner's Warehouse (BOW) in South Florida has them in stores. Not sure about the catalog.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I popped one and it had no markings at all on it. I found was able to find replacement o-rings for both Beckson and Tempress but I'm not sure if the o-rings are interchangeable between manufacturers.

Maybe I'll pop a few more plates to see if one of them is marked

BTW: the o-rings are black

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Most marine shops should carry that gasket material, if not they should have a distributor who can get it since it is a very common material that is replaced. I redo mine every year and carry extra on the boat incase on wears out, I open my one hatch where my seacocks are a lot so that gets replaced a bit to keep water out of my bilge.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I ended ordering a pack of 9- o-rings (EPDM O-Ring AS568A-359) from Mcmaster Carr for $9.98 plus $5 shipping

This is for a 6" deck plate.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I'll do onee better. I still have a tube of o-ring lube in my tool box from another project. :D

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Seahunter,
Did the gaskets you ordered from McMaster fit? I've been looking locally with no luck, I may have to place an order.
Thanks,
Pat

Seahunter

Reaction score
They fit like a glove. The new rings are not as soft so I had to lube the o-ring or the plate was hard to get out.

Once I lubed the o-rings the lids fit nice and snug.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
why did you choose that material and hardness.. THere seem to be some other choices in that size..

Silicone

AS568A Dash Number 359
Type O-Ring
O-Ring Type Standard
Cross Section Shape Round
System of Measurement Inch
Width 3/16"
Inside Diameter 5-3/4"
Outside Diameter 6-1/8"
Material Silicone
Durometer Hard
Durometer Shore Shore A: 70
Lowest Temperature Range -100° to -50°F
FDA Specification FDA Compliant

Silicone Type
Standard: Has excellent resistance to ozone, weather, detergent, and salt water. Also has good high and low temperature resistance.

FEP-Encapsulated: Perfect for sealing corrosive fluids, an FEP encapsulation makes these O-rings virtually impervious to most solvents and chemicals. Excellent resistance to friction and compression makes them ideal for static sealing applications. The FEP encapsulation meets ASTM D2116 and LP389A and is FDA compliant. Durometer hardness is A85 and temperature range is -75° to 400°F. O-rings are clear with a red-orange inner ring.

Temperature

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here is what Mcmaster Carr has in Buna -N material which is what Tempress uses in their deck plate o rings.

Durometer Durometer Shore Specifications Met Temperature Range
Round Cross Section
Medium-Hard Shore A: 65 American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), Military Specification (MIL), Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) -65° to +150°F 4464T382 $13.36 per Pack of 5

Medium-Hard Shore A: 65 Military Specification (MIL) -55° to +250°F 5018T382 14.82 per Pack of 5

Hard Shore A: 70 American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), Military Specification (MIL), Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) -65° to +275°F 4679T382 13.36 per Pack of 5

Hard Shore A: 70 Not Rated -35° to +250°F 9452K515 3.97 per Pack of 5

Hard Shore A: 75 American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), Military Specification (MIL), Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) -65° to +275°F 4198T382 13.36 per Pack of 5

Extra Hard Shore A: 90 American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), Society of Automotive Engineers

Seahunter

Reaction score
I’m not sure if mine deck plates are Temptress or not but mine looked to have closed cell foam rubber o-rings in them. I’m not a real fan of foam rubber anything thus the switch to regular rubber o-rings.

Buna-n performance is marginal in sunlight, weathering and ozone.

Silicon would have given satisfactory performance but are a lot more expensive. I'm also not crazy about using o-rings with FEP covers either.

I used EPDM because its recommend for use in sunlight, has good weathering and ozone resistance and was priced right.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
let us know if the lube does not hold up and the plates become too tight

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I know that since 2001 GW used Beckson pop in and screw in deck plates. The o rings and the entire assemblies are detailed on their website. I purchased both, I changed the pop in plates in the Eurotransom with screw ins for safety and changed the orings on the rest. Ordered them direct from Beckson, nice people and quick to ship.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

wlewis

Reaction score
Seahunter,
Thanks for the info. I just recieved new O rings from McMaster Carr and they fit perfectly! Previously, I couldn't find replacements so I replaced inspection ports with substandard ones that still leak. Luckily, I still have original ones that I'll re install with the new O rings.
Wlewis

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I resurrected this old thread because I want to replace the o-rings on my 2004 265 Express 6" deck plates. The specs on this thread were really helpful. I found the o-rings on Amazon in Buna-N- maybe not quite as sunlight resistant as other materials but the o-rings really aren't exposed when the deck plate is in place. Perfect fit....Can't beat it for $1.20 each!

Last edited: