Deck Plate replacement

Papa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi All:
I have a 1986 Sailfish and am replacing both the 74 and 124 gal gas tanks. I've had the boat since '99 and upgraded quite a bit, including the deck plates. I want to replace the current ones and was wondering if anyone had a "favorite"? The darn things seem to leak no matter what! I've had the pry out and screw in and don't think I see to much difference. Was hoping someone might have a good model/brand I should look into.
Thanks in advance!

Greyduk

Reaction score
Halfhitch, Would you happen to have a picture of the Armstrong deck plates installed? Thanks.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
DP_6W_white_with_logo__54218.1402527639.500.750.png

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Halfhitch, Would you happen to have a picture of the Armstrong deck plates installed? Thanks.

I don't have any pictures handy. I replaced all the 6 and 8 inch plates on a previous boat that had the quick-turn type. Each opening was recessed like on my Grady so the Armstrong plate wound up flush and worked like a champ. On the World Cat I had just previous to my Grady, I installed two 10 inch Armstrong plates in the splashwell and again they were great, however in that location there was no recess so they were raised above the surrounding area. Being in the splashwell that was no problem but if where you intend to mount them is a walking area and no recess is provided around the opening then they would be a tripping hazard.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Beckson Marine in CT made the original pop ins. They sell screw ins as well. You can replace them if desired. Same GW color too.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Greyduk, This is the only picture I could find of the Armstrong plate installation on a previous boat. It doesn't show much.

SaWndqhh.jpg

Greyduk

Reaction score
Thanks very much for posting that. I can tell that it is a fairly flush profile. Now you have given me food for thought.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Greyduk, This is the only picture I could find of the Armstrong plate installation on a previous boat. It doesn't show much.

SaWndqhh.jpg

Hey, that looks like a Seaswirl Striper!! I had a '05 Seaswirl Striper 2301. Really liked that boat. Like my Grady better though.
IMG_1143.JPG

wrxhoon

Reaction score
My new Seafarer 228 (new to me, 2013 model) has one like that on the aluminum rear swim platform. Since GW upgraded the seafarers to 300 hp the swim platform is aluminum and it's part of the engine bracket , welded together .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep, that's what mine was 2005, 2101 Alaskan. On the SOC, I was known as Knothead.

SOC, I was Ky Striper. They are a great group of people. Tons of interaction. True love of the Striper with that group. Kind of like us with the Grady's.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
O-rings need to be replaced on a somewhat regular basis - that should give you better life out of a 'normal' deckplate. FYI, just because you pop the cover off and see water on the top of the tank, doesn't mean the plate is leaking. The gas tank coffin is not sealed and water can freely travel in there from the bilge... and you can have condensation building up on the underside of the floor hatch, which then drips onto the gas tank.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Meanwhile

Reaction score
SOC, I was Ky Striper. They are a great group of people. Tons of interaction. True love of the Striper with that group. Kind of like us with the Grady's.
Past owner of No Bail, 2601 Striper. Love my Marlin now. Dick has a good board for info.
Randy

Fishtales

Reaction score
I really like the 6" Beckson screw ins.
1.) They screw in versus being pop ins. Much more secure, especially in the euro transom sections where water rushes over them time to time. Should a pop in style ever fail. you'd be in trouble real fast.
2.) You can buy a plastic screw tool to open them fast and easy.
3.) The screw pattern is identical to what you have. Use good sealant and you will keep water out.
4.) The screw cover rubber seal is locked in the channel, won't get lost or damaged easily.
5.) GW color, white, black, brown and clear.
6.) No texture, GW diamond plate texture or round dimple texture.

Reactions: HMBJack

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I really like the 6" Beckson screw ins.
1.) They screw in versus being pop ins. Much more secure, especially in the euro transom sections where water rushes over them time to time. Should a pop in style ever fail. you'd be in trouble real fast.
2.) You can buy a plastic screw tool to open them fast and easy.
3.) The screw pattern is identical to what you have. Use good sealant and you will keep water out.
4.) The screw cover rubber seal is locked in the channel, won't get lost or damaged easily.
5.) GW color, white, black, brown and clear.
6.) No texture, GW diamond plate texture or round dimple texture.

I agree, If I were changing mine out, that's the route I would go.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I happen to like every bit of advice Fishtales provides on this board.
And he is right on as to the Beckson plates.

I changed mine out some 8 years ago due to his reason #1. There was a GW Marlin that filled with water and rolled because a pop out lid released in the splash well in the euro-transom area (just forward of the outboards).

I didn't know a tool was available to unscrew a tight lid. Instead, I made my own tool and like to keep the threads greased up a bit.

While the Armstrong may be a tad better than the Beckson screw in (not convinced), I don't care for the look of the Armstrong but that's me.

Greyduk

Reaction score
What color is best? White or beige? Does the beige match the GW color?