Deck size - Please Help?

Vigorgs

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hey everyone we need your help. Looking to buy either an Islander 2000 or 2003 or a Sailfish 2000. Can anyone measure their decks and give us some info? Looking for the floor measurement from the fish box behind the helm chairs to the transom. We’d also love your opinions on which is bigger. We realize the sailfish is wider because of the beam but is it longer? All opinions would help. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Vigorgs

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Any help would be great!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 2004 islander. PM me, I can measure whatever ya need.

I'll get my shoes on in a moment and go measure the deck. I'll post a photo with what I measured in case I do not get the areas you want. The years you are looking at should be pretty close.

Russ

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Okay, so.. top down look:

A - 66"
B - 82"
C - 17-18"
D - 22-23"

All are approximate, may be off by an inch.... just sorta eye-balled it with a measuring tape.

R

Attachments

• Floorplan.jpg
    Floorplan.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 16

Vigorgs

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hey Russ - thanks so much. A & B are precisely what I was looking for and particularly A. We’ve got a 1988 offshore and the deck of the 2000 Islander felt a bit small. Our “A” measurement is 80” and I’m guessing because the 2000 has the stationary bench it’s about 60” but I’d love for an owner to confirm.

Have you been on any Sailfish? How do they compare and would you still choose the Islander over it? We are looking for a more family friendly boat but keep the fish-ability of the offshore.

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2006 sailfish, and the cockpit measurement is 67in long from the bottom of the live well to the rearfish box. The width is 87in. In useable space. I didn't count the space under the gunwale.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have barely been on MY Grady.. lol

Ya know, I went through the same issue....it is all about the fishing space. I came really close to getting a C-Dory before getting this boat. I loved the idea of the cabin.. an a/c.. a place for the wife to relax in comfort.. but the fishing area, specifically "A".. was sooooo small (I did not see they had one model with a lot more room heh...), and, yea.. they are slow.... bumpy...not made for the Gulf like I want, really.

I do not think the differences you will find on these models will make a difference. To ME... what makes a difference is how you stow things, how much you bring, and such. For instance, I have one of those friends that drinks diet 7-up like it is going out of style. He brings along 3-ltr bottles and he just about pouts like a 2yr old when he cannot bring his 300000 qt ice chest to stow it all in.. heh. Love the guy like a brother, but that bugger pretty much eats up the back space.

For me, I do not care if my drinks mingle with the fish in the fish box. I have a large ice box on the transom, I can put a few cold drinks into the fridge and they can stay cold a while sitting there, if I took them out of the ice box before leaving the ice box in the truck, I can throw a few in ice next to the sink, and, hell.. I can throw more into the fish box if it is that big a deal... should not be... not staying out 24 hours and even so.... I can hold PLENTY of ice for 24 hours and drinks. So...will be keeping his box off the deck/boat.

If you have 4 grown people fishing, the lines are your worries.. we took the boat for a 15 minute spin and we had .. 4 adults, 2 younger adults, 2 kids.. and one of the adults was pretty darn large. All we did was drive around for 15 minutes and we were fine.

Fishing would have been a pain, but I limit that to a couple adults and a couple kids and you have more than enough room.

In a nut shell, I would not worry about it. The only way you get more room back there is pay a heck of a lot more. If the boat runs good etc.. you'll adapt by how you organize it.

R

Vigorgs

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks Wilton - that’s exactly what I need and a big help!

Thanks Russ - Typically we fish hard with 2-4 adults or we have family trips with 5 adults and 2 kids on board with only me and my brother fishing. Ha ha I have a friend like yours. He brings 14 poles, 8 tackle boxes , and 3 coolers. Meanwhile we have enough of everything on board that he wouldn’t need to bring a thing. And your right about the organizing. It’s why we put the brakes on a nice Aquasport in FL. Realized it doesn’t compare to a Grady with storage and overall usable space.

Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: RussGW270